Brewing with tea--are tannins the only issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedred

Reaction score
Going to brew a hojicha pale ale. Hojicha is a roasted green tea, meaning that many of its tannins are already brewed out of it. Should I add separately brewed tea or is it alright to put thus in the boil? I wanted to add two gallons of tea before primary, then dry hop with dry tea in secondary.

Things like coffee and tea I like to cold brew for about 3-4 days. I take the coffee or tea, grind it, add cold filtered water, and cover and place in the fridge for a few days. Then, on brew day, I strain the coffee or tea out, and add the liquid in the last 5 minutes of the boil. I get great results doing this. Very good flavor with out extraction of tannins and other harsh flavors.

Good luck!

I can second cold extraction not pulling tannins. At work I take the free lipton tea bags and stick a few in my water bottle under ice cover with water and 2 hours later, practically from what I can taste, tannin free tea.

Back