Brewing with Second Runnings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So i have heard of people brewing second beers with the second runnings of a beer? How does this work, can anybody give me any insight into this?

I just sampled one that I did. I brewed a Helles Munich, I then took the second runnings and added 3 lbs of extra light DME and hops to make a completely different brew.

It isn't rocket science. My beefed up parti-gyle turned out better than my AG.

RockfordWhite said:
So i have heard of people brewing second beers with the second runnings of a beer? How does this work, can anybody give me any insight into this?
Partigyle.
Basic concept is you make a really big beer using alot of grain and a single draining of the MLT.
Then with your second and perhaps third drainings you boil it up as a weaker beer. The later beers can be beefed up with some specialty grains in the mash or some extract in the kettle. This way you get a second beer from the waste of your big beer with little costs.
The issues are that is can be hard to predict the gravitys for the later worts and the recipe is also difficult to pin down.
Craig

I just discovered this concept the other day and since I was already planning on doing a RIS, it was a perfect chance to try it. You can read about my experience here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50915

This is probably the best partigyle resource I came across while researching: http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

I'm not sure if it's possible to hit really high gravity numbers on the first batch and still have enough sugars left for the second. My brew day was far from perfect since I found out later I was consistently 10-12 degrees over my temperatures so it's not the best baseline, but at least it gives you an idea.

In total, I used 23 (18.5 on my first, and an additional 4.5 on my second) lbs of grain and got an OG of 1.082 on my first batch and 1.046 on my second. Both seem quite promising at this stage and I think they'll turn out well.

Back