Brewing with nuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
I have read a couple different things...one way is to soak them in vodka for a periond of time and then add the filtered vodka to the secondary...the second being just steeping the nuts in the kettle after the boil...and the third being nut extract.

What is the best way to brew with nuts?

I would extra roast them in the oven and add them to the boil, or addd them right out of the oven to the secondary.

People freak too much about secondary. It is almost impossible to infect fermented beer. I have "Dry" hopped hops, peppers, cinnamon sticks, and pumpkin seeds. No worries.

Either way, I would go with a minor amount. Good luck!

I got a couple o' nuts that I brew with. werrrrrd. :D

Srsly, if you're looking for a distinct nutty flavor, I'd go with extracts. The amount of nuts it'd take to impart any flavor on the beer would be so immense as to be huge PITA. Now, I'm not sure what kind of nuts you're interested in, but regardless, I know of no type of nut that is so flavorful that it's going to impart that much flavor from just a small amount. IIWY, I'd use extracts.

Also keep in mind, nuts have fats that will go rancid over time. So you really can't plan on aging a beer with nuts. However, as Evan! (and his nutz) so point out, extracts are probably the best route to go. Find a good pure extract, avoid the crap filled ones.

Chris_Dog said:
Nuts oils and that my impact you head retention.

Um...a little too early to be hitting the sauce, Chris, dontcha think? :drunk:

You're right though...the amount of oil on my nuts does have an impact on how much head I get :D

I've heard of adding your nuts into the mash. That's what they do at the Lazy Magnolia Brewing Co. I would PM Spyk'd.

Evan! said:

You're right though...the amount of oil on my nuts does have an impact on how much head I get :D

Heck it is 5:00 somewhere!!! :drunk: :drunk:

What I tried to say is that nuts have oils and may impact the head of the beer. That my be the point of infusing the vodka.

Evan! said:

Lol, my thoughts exactly. Flavor, head........... Head is not useful unless you are entering a competition, or if it gives you particular pleasure..........umm.. No jokes please.

Back