Brewing with newborns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogwai

Reaction score
Yes, I know what the title implies, feel free to add appropriate jokes/puns.

Anyway, my wife is very pregnant with a due date of next Thursday (6/23). Since this is our first child, I expect life to become quite hectic with limited time for brewing (and drinking).
Luckily I have a batch (my first) in bottles, ready to be had, with a second batch ready to be bottled tonight. When do you think I can brew again? My thought was to brew as soon as possible before the baby will need more of my time (I figured the little rascal will be sleeping and eating the first few weeks).

What are your experiences with newborns and brewing? Can I squeeze in a few hours of brewing without neglecting my other duties?

Invite your buddies over to watch the kid while they drink your free home brew. I am sure your wife will not have a problem haha.

What are your experiences with newborns and brewing? Can I squeeze in a few hours of brewing without neglecting my other duties?

no. if you can brew when you're passed out, go ahead. babies (like chuck norris) don't sleep, they wait.

You need to get your priorities in line. Good, quality beer is way more important than the possible neglect of a baby.

On a serious note, make the wife watch her for a few hours and then you can take over and she can go and do whatever females do. You know, cook, clean, nag, and pillow fights with her friends.

I brewed one of my fist AG batched when my son was about six months, I think. Wait until family comes over or momma takes the kid on a day trip somewhere.

Now that the Turtle is a year and a half, I brew when she can take him elsewhere. Or I open the sliding door but leave the screen closed. Too hazardous for him running around.

Here's the Assistant Brewer in training.

image-2083849704.jpg

The amount of brewing definitely went down for me when my wife and I had our first child last year. I normally would brew about once a month but since the birth, I've only brewed 4 times and its been 15 months.

The best advice is to ask your wife to watch the child the entire time you brew so you can concentrate on the process. I specifically asked so that I could do a batch. The other idea is to wait for the wife and child to go out somewhere, maybe like visiting her parents, and you ask to hang back to brew. Explain that you really enjoy it and need that activity.

Just do what ever feels natural, trust me i want to but the lillte ones, yes there are two, the little ones are just to amazing to not let go, but now the youngest is almost nine months and the wiff has said when is your next brew day?!?! i dont know because i would like to finish my brew stand and my stand for my new conicals and my fermentation room, and i would love to well just brew a batch, dont get overwhelmed such as i have, just brew a batch and get ready to take a short break.

ps one more word of advice have if planing on having more, do it as soon as possible it sounds hard but the thought of afterwards not having to go through the diaper thing again is amazing!!!!

one more ps

you have your whole life to brew...

I have a 14 month old so I'm not too far detached from this. You will have very little downtime in the first few weeks. Whatever time you're not hanging out with the baby, trying to get them to sleep, helping your wife with feeding, etc.... will be taken up with other chores that are being put off because of baby duties (taking out trash, making food, etc.. the basics). After my daughter was born, I brewed one time in the next four months. I had a long dry spell for sure but I had anticipated and stocked up. The truth is that having a baby will cause you to readjust your focus and priorities and you really won't be very concerned with brewing in a couple weeks. Brewing is an awesome hobby but hobbies in general exist to use up free time and provide fulfilment in some manner. Both of these will be accomplished by your new baby. After awhile, you'll get back into it, but don't be surprised if its a couple months.

It sounds like you're on your 3rd batch which I'm assuming means you do extract? If so, you're lucky since this takes much less time. It's much easier to find 2 hour chunks of free time. You don't drink as much at first anyway. Assuming your wife is breastfeeding (every 4 hours or so) she can't drink too much and the last thing you want is to wake up at 3 am with a hangover to a screaming baby.

After a few months, everything settles down a little and things will get more normal. Of course, you forever after have "less" free time than you do now, but you will be able to squeeze it in.... and you will relish it all the more then.

Have fun and enjoy every minute of it. It really is an awesome time in life!

Hmm, sounds like what I pretty much expected... Ah well, this gives me time to get more buckets and ingredients so I can brew a couple of batches when I get the chance.

Thanks for the advice and telling me about your experiences. I am not nervous about having a baby, but it always helps to hear what other people/brewers have worked things out.
After all, I know where my equipment is when life has slowed down (if it ever will).

The first couple weeks are a very magical time (both with your homebrew and your baby!). you will be happy not thinking about other things. That said, i was not much of a brewer when we had our first child. With the second (she is now five months old) i was content not to brew for a while.

That said, everyone's balance is different and everyone's relationship with their partner is different. I think in a couple weeks to a month you'll be happy getting out and brewing a bit. until then, work on sleep as it will be hard to come up.

i don't brew a lot even now, but I find it works best to wait for them to leave for a weekend, then drink and brew my ass off, or brew at night after they go to bed. it makes for a late night, but sacrifice is necessary sometimes.

Good Luck and Congrats!

I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant right now and I just started my first batch. I'm planning on bottling it shortly before or after the baby comes (depending on when the little one plans on arriving). Yeah, it'll be hectic, but about 8 weeks after the baby comes, I'll be going to back to nursing school full-time while my husband works night-shift full-time (so the baby doesn't go to day care!). Some family is coming right after the baby comes, to do housework, so bottling this will be something fun for me to do myself.

That said, all I've done for this batch is malt extract and some specialty grains - nothing complicated. And the baby hasn't come yet ;) I'll find out how it goes, I guess :)

I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant right now and I just started my first batch. I'm planning on bottling it shortly before or after the baby comes (depending on when the little one plans on arriving). Yeah, it'll be hectic, but about 8 weeks after the baby comes, I'll be going to back to nursing school full-time while my husband works night-shift full-time (so the baby doesn't go to day care!). Some family is coming right after the baby is coming to do housework, so bottling this will be something fun for me to do myself.

That said, all I've done for this batch is malt extract and some specialty grains - nothing complicated. And the baby hasn't come yet ;) I'll find out how it goes, I guess :)

good luck, and congrats!

Also, you can justify buying Star San as a baby expense now. We mix it up in a spray bottle and use it in the kitchen. ;)

Bought some used baby toys? Star San to make sure they're not harboring any nasties.

Also, you can justify buying Star San as a baby expense now. We mix it up in a spray bottle and use it in the kitchen. ;)

Bought some used baby toys? Star San to make sure they're not harboring any nasties.

I use Star San everywhere in the house, and since we are adopting a baby who is due sometime in mid july-august I have yet another use for it!

Sort of freaking out right now but I look forward to having a little brewer around. :D

Brewing doesn't need slow down but for the first couple weeks.. Focus on mommy and baby and you'll find out that the time to brew will come faster than you think. Might give you an excuse to start kegging :)

My daughter who is now 6 months old has been sleeping through the night since she was 2 months old. Most of the time my wife (full time job and student) or family members were unavailable to watch her for the 6 hours I needed to brew so I stayed up late after my daughter went to bed to brew. Start at 8pm end at 2am usually, got to scarifice a little with kids (we have a 5 year old too).

Having a baby is a bit like having a bomb dropped on your house. It kind of takes over, and your life is a bit of a shambles for a while. Being the male, you have a bit of an advantage over the likes of me, since you aren't the one with the breasts of baby-feeding (of course, if you plan on bottle feeding, you don't have that excuse). Still, you will be busy with baby and with picking up extra tasks in the house that momma won't have the energy for. You probably won't have much spare time for a while, but if you are dying for the delicious homebrew, I suggest going extract for a while. Less muss, less fuss, less time commitment, and less bitter spouse who has no time for her own leisure pursuits.

I don't have a newborn anymore but my 2 year old helps me put caps on my bottles and box them up. He "helps daddy make beer".

I always wanted an assistant, at what age did you start training him?

Every family and every relationship is different in terms of how responsibilities are divided, what your capabilities are, etc. In my case, we don't have any in-laws in town who are capable of watching our kids, so it's a constant challenge. I usually have to be like, "Hey honey, why don't you have a girls-night-out, and I'll put the boys to bed for you... (now quick, where's my brew kettle...)" But other guys I know have it much easier in that dep't. So YMMV. You're just going to have to figure it out when the time comes.

:off: it's so wrong to see this right next to the "Brewing with Human Remains" thread...

congratulations on the baby! I don't have kids, so I can't offer any words of wisdom there. you and SWMBO will figure it out when the time comes.

i've got a six year old and an eleven month old and the wife works most weekends. when she doesn't, we usually have a bunch of stuff to do, other than brewing.

my last batch was a month before the new baby.

i do have a question though.......

i've been hearing about being able to mash in at say 10:00 pm and putting a lid on the cooler and waking up at say 6:00 and picking back up and finishing.

has anyone ever done this?

any real cons to it?

Well, in my case, if I left the kitchen mid-brew session overnight, my wife would completely lose her $*&% and I'd never brew again... so that's a bit of a con. But YMMV.

i brew outside the garage and mash inside the garage, so in the southern heat, the ambient temp around the cooler would likely not get below 90.

I have a 3 month old and brewed two weeks ago. It can be done. Don't try any enhanced double decoctions mashes though or you could be in for it.

I have twins coming late November, early Dec... I'm building a brewtroller controlled single tier system in my garage. I'm almost done, the only automated things in phase one will be temp control though (electric). I'm hoping that will help in brewing in those months after they arrive, just by giving me the ability to not have to watch temps like a hawk and fiddle with burners & things. Doubtful though. I'll just be brewing a lot before they come in preparation. :D

Babies may wake up and cry and demand immediate attention. That can be problematic when brewing or bottling. Perhaps your wife can give you a 1-3 hour window to do something like prepare a starter, bottle, etc.

PS If/when you have another THEN You will be far far more hard pressed :D

Babies may wake up and cry and demand immediate attention. That can be problematic when brewing or bottling. Perhaps your wife can give you a 1-3 hour window to do something like prepare a starter, bottle, etc.

PS If/when you have another THEN You will be far far more hard pressed :D

quoted and bolded for truth.

My wife is due sometime in November as well. It will be my first but her second(I did adopt her son so he is mine too and at this point you cant tell he is not from my loins. Like father like son.):D

Nervous anyway cause i've never changed a diper in my life:drunk:

My wife is due sometime in November as well. It will be my first but her second(I did adopt her son so he is mine too and at this point you cant tell he is not from my loins. Like father like son.):D

Nervous anyway cause i've never changed a diper in my life:drunk:

you learn quick. getting pooped on is a great motivator :D

Back