Brewing with cereal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
Actual cereal from the aisle at the grocery store. Anything all natural/organic/whole grain... So far I've done a corn flake brew(not much flavor but okay) and my current Kashi cinnamon harvest cereal(smells delicious). Mashing it in the same bag, BIAB, with my grains.

Who else has brewed using boxes of cereal? Hubby and I are sort of like charity cases and people bring us food. We end up with boxes of nearly stale cereal that neither of us want to eat, so I started brewing it with re-used yeast and thinking whatever old spices in the cabinet that need to be used up. Hubby asked for a beer and so I poured him a cornflake brew(also grits and rice in that batch with the grain). Asked him if it was okay, and he said "here, you try it". I tasted and said "yes, it's beer, drink up". He drank it and liked it. Or, at least seemed to.

Anyone else tried brewing with boxes of cereal added to your grain? I have bulk 2-row available.

Not sure why I haven't tried that, I guess because we always end up with the little packets called things like "peaches and cream". Now with oatmeal being so absorbent, that's why cereal mashes are usually done separately, I see. By cereal mash, most people aren't talking about a box of corn flakes?

I would love to hear what you end up sometime for starting gravities Bobbi.

No a cereal mash is just a form of torture. It is taking the raw grains like rice and converting them into a form that will convert into sugar with the enzymes present in the base grains.

I did it once and will stop drinking before I do it ever again. You have to boil the crap out of the grains stirring it constantly for at least a half hour I think it was. Much easier to buy instant rice or grits

Well, I learned how to use my hydrometer, enough to confirm that I aim for about 3% ABV. I just go by how thick it looks and how sweet it tastes. That seems about right, go for it. I know I don't brew the "right way". But (almost)every time I continually make beer. :rockin:

Next time, I will look at readings. Or, at least try to remember to do that.

I think it was my years spent making extract kits that I learned what it's supposed to look like/taste like.

If you have barley, hops, yeast, and water you make beer. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the beer but it will be beer.

Back