Brewing water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjdutch

Reaction score
I tested my water last night. Surprise! My alkalinity is at 450! We are on a well so naturally with a water softener things are a bit wacky. Chloride is 40ppm. Sodium is 233ppm. 0 for calcium and magnesium.
I'm considering an RO filter to just start from ground zero and add salts as needed per beer style. Or should I just add acid for the alkalinity and salts as needed? Sodium is high too.
Looking to all you good folks for some direction here. Thanks.

What is the water before going through the softener? Water from a softener is not good for brewing.

I would use RO in place of, or at least separate from the softener. In other words RO the water before it is softened. The salts in softening will certainly cut the life of your filters...

While I do not know the affect on the life of my RO filters, I have two RO systems after the water system and they are fine. My filters are changed every year based upon my water volume and use. Your volume and use may be different.

I agree with @kh54s10, I would suggest installing a RO system WITH a water leak detector. For me, starting with RO water is so much easier. I use Mash Made Easy (https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/) to help with my pH calculation.

What is the water before going through the softener? Water from a softener is not good for brewing.

I would use RO in place of, or at least separate from the softener. In other words RO the water before it is softened. The salts in softening will certainly cut the life of your filters...

With high hardness it is actually recommended to install a softener BEFORE a RO system to increase the life of the membranes. The reason being calcium and magnesium will cause scaling on them and hence shorten their lifespan while sodium will not cause any issues.

Sodium is high too.

The sodium will be mostly from the softener. You appear to have your softener set to 100% treated water as evidenced by 0 values for calcium and magnesium. If you have metal piping in your house it is not recommended as 100% softened water will corrode them faster than untreated water. If you have plastic piping then it's fine.

* Don't use water softener water for brewing.
* Don't use that highly Alkaline water for brewing anything other than dark beers
* Do install an RO system, or just get 3 gallon jugs and fill them at RO stations at Walmart/Grocery Stores (This is what I do)
* If you install RO - I do believe you want the water to go through the softener and then through the RO system.....Others can confirm that.....
* Do use a blend of your highly alkaline water and RO water for Dark beers..... I use 40-80% High Bicarbonate tap water in Amber-Brown ales and Porters/Stouts. Makes for nice dark beers if you can get pH in the 5.4-5.6 range.

* Honestly, after looking into the cost, logistics, effort, maintenance, etc....... I decided just to get refills in 3 gallon jugs at RO fill station at walmart. .33 cents a gallon. I have 6 x 3 gallon jugs..... not a big deal to do it that way.

^ This. Wal-Mart RO dispenser using reusable water cooler jugs. You can buy A LOT of RO water for less than the price (installation and maintenance) of a home RO system.

I stand corrected on the RO after the softener. I don't know much about either water softeners or Alkalinity but thought softeners would lower that.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm often astounded at the amount of knowledge on this forum.
I just hooked up an RO filter and going forward that will be my brewing water. I did test my water pre softener and its not horrible but the alkalinity is off the chart. So i'll be brewing with RO water and salts or mixing it with the hard water I have.

Good brewing!

Back