brewing waste - hops, yeast, grain, water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
What do you do with yours?

I'm not asking about grain so much, I've seen threads on that, and made a few things with it.

I'm trying to find something to do with my hops, yeast and water.

If there are threads I didn't find by searching, please post.

I used to dump hops/yeast/water in a spot in my yard and dig it into the dirt, but it is small and I don't really like doing that.

I throw the hops and grain in the trash sometimes. But is there a better way to get rid of them?

Do you just pour the water out somewhere?

I live in an apartment in a city, with a small 'yard'.

I toss the hops, give the grain to friends who own chickens, and harvest/rinse the yeast for future batches. not sure about water. Any water that gets dumped is cleaning/sanitation water.

I live in a condo so i have no yard. I save mine and give it to my sister and aunt so they can compost it and use it in their garden. I do sometimes just throw it out if i know i wont see them for a while.

always toss the hops though. only save grains.

I harvest yeast too, but not every batch. I guess I'm talking about washing my kettles and carboys. I have been washing it down my driveway, but I brew every other weekend and the residue from where the water flows is starting to build up.

I usually compost the spent grain or just toss it in the garbage. Occasionally I use a bit to make doggie treats for friends. Water used in my IC goes into buckets and I water plants in the yard with it. I don't reuse yeast, so the trub from fermenters gets washed down the drain. I reuse Starsan solution and keep it in gallon jugs.

I compost the grains and hops. I just started washing my yeast. I run the water from my CFC into flower beds and the new trees in our front yard. I usually wash kettles, equipment and carboys in the backyard with biodegradable soap. It's surprising how much water gets used on brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back