Brewing Under Pressure psi to high did I kill my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
OK guys first time brewing under pressure. I set may gage for 15psi. Unfortunately I did not set it properly (rookie mistake) Left it over night and had to decompress it back to 15psi. I then decompressed the whole vessel down to 0psi and it went back to 15psi. I did this three times. does this mean that my yeast is still alive or is this just excess carbonation coming out?

I doubt that the yeast built that much pressure to kill itself overnight. What is the batch size and at what temperature are you fermenting?

Bah, I'm sure it's fine. Yeast can survive at full carbonation pressure, so overnight at 15psi shouldn't be a big deal.

Bah, I'm sure it's fine. Yeast can survive at full carbonation pressure, so overnight at 15psi shouldn't be a big deal.

It probably went way over 15psi.no idea how much. But it is still fermenting. I hope that i dont get off flavours

You get off flavors from fermenting the beer too warm or stressing them by underpitching. The yeast are surrounded by liquid, the pressure that you have had won't bother them at all.

Well that make sense RM-MN. So even if it went up to 150psi it would not create off flavors?

I'd bet the keg would fail well before 150psi, but I'd guess that it would still take extended time at that pressure to kill the yeast and have autolysis set in.

Brewing 4.5 gallons. at 57f or 14c

You get off flavors from fermenting the beer too warm or stressing them by underpitching. The yeast are surrounded by liquid, the pressure that you have had won't bother them at all.

Or sometimes from fermenting too cold...

What yeast are you fermenting at 57°f? I'd be more concerned about temperature than pressure right now...

:mug:

Well that make sense RM-MN. So even if it went up to 150psi it would not create off flavors?

Have you ever met a scuba diver? Diving doesn't kill them. Their bodies are at equilibrium with the water pressure.

That doesn't mean there aren't other problems for divers related to the pressure but those don't affect yeast since they don't breathe pressurized air.

the reg. would have released excess pressure before getting to 150 psi unless it was broken and he would be having other issues that theoretical yeast stress....

the reg. would have released excess pressure before getting to 150 psi unless it was broken and he would be having other issues that theoretical yeast stress....

the regulator did have an issue. But 2 days later the beer is still fermenting.

Hi guys i am going to keep this thread up to date with results. Also i notice my gage drops every once in awhile back to 13 psi then i togjten back 15 psi. I wish there were more stuff online about pressure brewing. There is some but not much.

If you haven't already, read through this thread, but I'd love to hear more about your setup!

here is a photo of my setup below. been fermenting for 10days at 14c. wondering if I should drop them to 3c and drink. It is a lager.
17358977_10154506160240888_6013109471808479876_o.jpg

well i took a sample we are finished fermenting. alot of acetaldehyde or sour green apple taste. I am told that is normal.

Nice rig! I've got a similar spunding setup. I'm not very knowledgeable in Lager fermentations, but I think you're right, standard off flavors, but they should go away with a little age.
Don't quote me, but I think you can ferment even lagers much warmed when they're under pressure... might help drive off the acetaldehyde.

Nice rig! I've got a similar spunding setup. I'm not very knowledgeable in Lager fermentations, but I think you're right, standard off flavors, but they should go away with a little age.
Don't quote me, but I think you can ferment even lagers much warmed when they're under pressure... might help drive off the acetaldehyde.

Thanks afro_lou you every gotton a acetalhyde smell of sour?

Beer still has a apple and a slight strange taste to it but it is fading. Giver it another week to lager.

Back