brewing tomorrow, simple ipa input welcome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
Here's what i got for a simple ipa, hop addition times and any other input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

2 row - 12lbs
Crystal 20- 1.25lbs

Citra - 8oz
Cascade - 2 oz
Willamette - 1 oz (whole)

Us - 05

Simple ipa that screams citra hops and isnt too bitter is what i want. Thanks again.

what are going to be your additions times on those hops? looks pretty tasty, you going for a sweet malt background?

i would cut back on the c20, maybe just 1/2lb. mash at about 150.
i just made a cascade/citra IIPA, its carbing now. an ipa that isnt too bitter doesnt really exist.

fwh 2oz citra
15 1oz citra
15 1oz cascade
5 2oz citra
5 1oz cascade
5 1oz willamette
FO 1oz citra
dry hop with 2oz citra
ferment in the low 60's (64 makes us05 nice and clean)
just my opinion.

does FWH actually work? I would be a little worried about the whole cat piss thing with early citra additions. I usually add them in in the last 15 min and DH. Although I am not that sensitive to the catty thing...

Hopper5000 said:
does FWH actually work? I would be a little worried about the whole cat piss thing with early citra additions. I usually add them in in the last 15 min and DH. Although I am not that sensitive to the catty thing...

Yes, FWH works. Recent research reported in Stan Hieronymous' new book covers it. And the cat piss/onion-garlic flavors in some hop varieties arise from when hops are picked, not from when they're added to the boil.

Cheers!

though i personally dont have the scientific proof about the chemical reactions between the hops AA, and the wort, i have noticed that my IPA's (i brew them the most) are always smooth, and i have even FWH a cascade/citra IIPA that is far from "cat pissy". beer calculus calculates FWH ibus contributions the same as a normal 60 min addition, so im still getting the bittering. I always FWH, and all other additions are 15 minutes or less.

thanks for the cool info... my hop schedule was
1oz cascade 60
1oz willamette (whole) 20
1oz citra 20
2oz citra 15
2oz citra 10
1oz citra 5
.5 oz cascade 5
2oz citra 10 days before bottling dry hop
.5oz cascade 10 days before bottling dry hop

all the malt was used.

also, while on the topic, please explain FWHing i seem to be a little confused as to the idea behind this. i understand the hop utilization plateau and the bittering effects, but why hop the wort before 60 if the effects are the same? also i have seen fwh AFTER the 60 min addition. why would that be? user error? also for future reference how could i maximize hop flavor without making a bitter mess? so many questions so little time. cheers.

i normally just throw in my FWH (which is also my bittering addition) when im draining my mash tun into the brew kettle, sparge and boil as normal. then all my flavor/aroma additions start 15 minutes prior to me turning the heat source off. some people will boil longer, but other then extracting more ibus, im not sure if it does anything else. the hop schedule i posted is just an example of that. BTW i have heard (never done it) that willamette can "enhance" the flavor of cascade hops, so thats why i paired them up. sounds like a great IPA, best of luck with it.

i normally just throw in my FWH (which is also my bittering addition) when im draining my mash tun into the brew kettle, sparge and boil as normal. then all my flavor/aroma additions start 15 minutes prior to me turning the heat source off. some people will boil longer, but other then extracting more ibus, im not sure if it does anything else. the hop schedule i posted is just an example of that. BTW i have heard (never done it) that willamette can "enhance" the flavor of cascade hops, so thats why i paired them up. sounds like a great IPA, best of luck with it.

Thanks again. Makes sense.

FWIW, the FWH practice actually adds about 10% more AA into your beer, but because it starts at a lower temp (mash vs. boil) and different pH, the AA expresses differently to your taste buds. Generally you see words like "softer" or "rounder" bitterness as opposed to "harsh" or "in your face" (associated with traditional 60min boil additions).

Hope that helps :)

FWIW, the FWH practice actually adds about 10% more AA into your beer, but because it starts at a lower temp (mash vs. boil) and different pH, the AA expresses differently to your taste buds. Generally you see words like "softer" or "rounder" bitterness as opposed to "harsh" or "in your face" (associated with traditional 60min boil additions).

Hope that helps :)

So much! Thanks. Ill give it a try next time.

Back