Brewing today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's a great day to brew. The sun is shining, and it's quiet around here. It's time to turn on some music and brew.

Who else is brewing today?

I'm making a Mirror Pond-ish APA, 10 gallons.

18 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L
0.50 oz Magnum Leaf [16.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
2.00 oz Cascade (Homegrown) - Boil 20.0 min
2.00 oz Cascade (Homegrown) -Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Cascade (Homegrown) - Steep/Whirlpool
American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) (repitch of slurry)
2.00 oz Cascade (Homegrown)- Dry Hop 5.0 Days

I have tons of cascade from 2013's harvest in the freezer, and I love them. I don't know why I rarely use them, so I'm going to go heavy on cascades today.

I'll turn Spotify on in the brewery, but I have no idea yet what music will "go" with my mood. Maybe some old school stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughn? Hendrix?

I wish I was Brewing today ! Brewed last weekend and Brewing next weekend !

This weekend is all about my new little Brew Buddy Clyde, he is 8 weeks old and is a rescue puppy.

I am going to do some brewing stuff today, racking 10 gallons and washing 2 kegs.

Cheers :mug:

Not brewing today. I brewed an American Wheat last weekend, so I will be kegging today and also cleaning my draft system. I will be brewing my American Stout next weekend.

Starting a Belgian Dubbel in an hour or so and bottling a vanilla porter as we as an irish red! Oh and drinking!

I'm all mashed in, and now I have an hour to play with my hops and stuff. It smells really good in here! :rockin:

I was thinking about kegging one 5 gallon carboy of my "Pliny the Toddler" today, but I'm actually feeling pretty lazy after all and probably won't.

I'm all mashed in, and now I have an hour to play with my hops and stuff. It smells really good in here! :rockin:

I was thinking about kegging one 5 gallon carboy of my "Pliny the Toddler" today, but I'm actually feeling pretty lazy after all and probably won't.

Ugh, I've tried kegging on brew day before. It's nice to get a lot done in one day but it's a lot of work!

I volunteered to work 7a-3p today, so I will just live vicariously through Yooper and all others brewing today.

It has been a tough winter here in northern VT, as I am sure it has been in the UP as well. Spring has been slow to show it's pretty face, but today is indeed a beautiful day here as well.

A bit of good news is that tonight we are having an informational FIRST meeting of a homebrew club that myself and another local brewer that I met are organizing. So I am doing something homebrew related today (just to stay on topic)

I cannot wait... I almost have as much anticipation as waiting to become a dad for the first time. Watching the clock, pacing the hallways at just anxious to have 6pm get here.:mug:

We've got a TON of snow here. I have no idea how much, but you can't walk through our yard. Most people are a bit stir crazy.

Beer makes these kinds of days much better!

Brewed an American wheat on Friday after work; third batch on new system and still don't have all kinks worked out. Never brewed a wheat before and came up with my own recipe so we'll see how it goes.

We are going to brew a Pliny coming up. What was the rational for a toddler version?

Too bad I didn't win that "brew with Yooper" prize on the anniversary drawing!!

Almost Famous Brewing Company

"I'll turn Spotify on in the brewery, but I have no idea yet what music will "go" with my mood. Maybe some old school stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughn? Hendrix?"
>
>
Local radio station is doing a greatest guitar contest...callers vote on the winners. It's down to SRV and Eric Clapton...my vote was for Jimi H.
My top 5:
Jimi H.
Slash
Carlos Santana
Keith Richards
Eddie Van Halen
next on the list would be
Peter Frampton
Nokie Edwards
Hank Marvin
Joan Jett maybe, she could hit it hard, no pretense there.
Oh, and maybe Duane Eddy for a tenth one.
Sorry, this is supposed to be about beer huh? Too wet and cold here to brew, maybe next weekend.

Hitachino Nest White clone. Waiting for the boil at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewed an American wheat on Friday after work; third batch on new system and still don't have all kinks worked out. Never brewed a wheat before and came up with my own recipe so we'll see how it goes.

We are going to brew a Pliny coming up. What was the rational for a toddler version?

Too bad I didn't win that "brew with Yooper" prize on the anniversary drawing!!

"Brew with Yooper"? Oh, that would be fun wouldn't it if someone wanted to brew with me and they could come here (or I could go there)? Maybe bring that up with TxBrew for the next giveaway- winner gets brewing stuff, loser gets ME! :D

The Pliny the Toddler beer came about because I LOVE big hoppy DIPAs, but I'm a lightweight. I like to have about 3 beers in the evening, but I can't handle 8%+ for more than one beer. I've been working on "session IPAs" for several years, trying to perfect one.

The Toddler clocks in at 6.4%, so it's still biggish, but hopefully I can drink a few and not be unable to function. It's dryhopping now, and it already tastes great to me.

I posted on a thread not terribly long ago and brewing with Yooper seemed to be a big hit! I would say loser gets brew stuff. Would be fun to win that one for sure. Would need to be a summer brew though. :)

I'll have to check out your recipe so after we brew Elder we could maybe follow it up with toddler.

Am working on filling out my list of IPA recipes across the abv spectrum. Brewing a 5 and a halfish this evening. Bottling my oatmeal choc milk stout in a few days.

A good homebrew week for me.

Brewed an American Amber today with Cascades and Chinook, haven't used that combination before but have heard its really good. I did a 20 post boil whirlpool, cooled down to 165, added the hops, and drifted down to 155 after the 20 min whirlpool. I'll wait to taste it before I decide whether to dry hop or not. I was listening to sports radio today, not sure they can but would love to see UConn take it. Great brew day!

I've got 10.5 gallons of beer all finished, and the brewery gear all cleaned and shiny. I'm going to have to keg my IIPA tomorrow, as I just don't feel like it any more. Brewing is hard work!

Brewed my hoppy wheat beer, split 5 gallons between wlp644 and Conan. Pumped to see how they turn out, I drank a ton of Crooked Stave when I was in CO this summer so especially pumped for a hoppy brett beer. I also used my 30 plate dudadiesel for the first time and it was awesome, gravity fed its way quicker than my old Shirron plate chiller. I am glad I did not order a pump and held off because for now I think I will stick with gravity and out that money towards a better grain mill. Oh and music was Old Crow Medicine Show Pandora channel all day.

Just sitting down to enjoy a post-brewday English Bitter. Long day of brewing. Dortmunder Export and a Heady Topper clone. Both 90 minute boils, Heady also had a 60 minute hopstand at the end...... Good to have em both in the fermenter though.

Jealous! Just moved to St Louis and stuck in the in laws basement until we close on our house. No brewing for me for at least a month :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Finished capping 97 bottles. 48 Irish Red 49 Vanilla Porter! Belgian in the fermenter! Time to clean.......

Back