Brewing Temp Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0_Enigma_0o

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently on my second brew.. My first brew i just stood the fermentation barrel next to a hot radiator in the sapre room... and got a bitter taste in my lager :|

After reading that lager should be brewed at around 18Deg C, I put the fermentation barrel in the garage. I have put a brand new fish tank heater in the fermentation barrel and set it to 18 Deg C, I have then wrapped 2 pillows 2 bed sheets and a towel around the barrel...

Have i done right?

A good reference on fermentation temps is here:
http://***********/stories/techniqu...ntrolling-fermentation-temperature-techniques

In my opinion thats to high a temp for a lager. What yeast are you using? Do you have a recipe you can post?

Most lagers would be in the 10 degC to 13 degC range and then be lagered/conditioned at around 2 deg C

Alot of the lager kits sold have neutral flavor ale yeast included and the instructions tell you to ferment them on the lower end so you get a smoother character.

There is nothing wrong with that, but you are not likely to get a true lager character out of the ale yeast.

A good reference on fermentation temps is here:
Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Controlling Fermentation Temperature: Techniques

In my opinion thats to high a temp for a lager. What yeast are you using? Do you have a recipe you can post?

Most lagers would be in the 10 degC to 13 degC range and then be lagered/conditioned at around 2 deg C

Alot of the lager kits sold have neutral flavor ale yeast included and the instructions tell you to ferment them on the lower end so you get a smoother character.

There is nothing wrong with that, but you are not likely to get a true lager character out of the ale yeast.

Hi,

The kit i used is a Gerodie Lager Kit - GEORDIE LAGER 40PT from Homebrew It Yourself

I havnt done any proper brewing yet :| lol the instructions say between 18 - 24 Deg C for fermenting.

Cheers

The most important thing in deciding fermentation temperature is the strain of yeast you're using. If you're using an ale yeast, temperatures should be in the 60's (16-20C). For a true lager (and that kit is not a true lager, just called that), temperatures should be in the range of 8-12C.

That kit has you fermenting hot, and adding brewing sugar, so it's probably not going to be the best tasting brew in the world, but it should be drinkable.

I'm a fan of buying malt extract, hops, some grain, and yeast and making a beer out of those ingredients. Take a look at howtobrew.com (great online book on brewing) to see how easy it can be, and it tastes great.

The most important thing in deciding fermentation temperature is the strain of yeast you're using. If you're using an ale yeast, temperatures should be in the 60's (16-20C). For a true lager (and that kit is not a true lager, just called that), temperatures should be in the range of 8-12C.

That kit has you fermenting hot, and adding brewing sugar, so it's probably not going to be the best tasting brew in the world, but it should be drinkable.

I'm a fan of buying malt extract, hops, some grain, and yeast and making a beer out of those ingredients. Take a look at howtobrew.com (great online book on brewing) to see how easy it can be, and it tastes great.

I will give it a read :) thanks for the link :)

Might have to try a proper brew next time..
Next on the list is a rose wine :)

Cheers
:mug:

Back