Brewing statistics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenR

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm Ben Reiniger, a senior at Illinois State University. I'm currently enrolled in a statistics course, and am required to put together a project using what has been learned this semester.

I homebrew a bit and have decided to work with beer for my project. Depending on what data I'm able to get, I'd like to compare how certain aspects of brewing differ depending on who's doing the brewing. In particular I would like to compare how large-scale commercial brewers, microbreweries, and homebrewers compare with respect to hop and malt usage, as well as alcohol content. If it comes together well enough, I'd also like to compare different beer styles (stouts, lagers, pales, etc.).

As such, I would very much appreciate it if you could provide for some of your beers the style of beer, weight of malt (and other fermentables), hops per volume, and/or alcohol by volume.

Thank you very much for your support. If the project turns out at all decently, I'd be happy to provide you with a copy of the report if you would like.

Ben Reiniger
[email protected]

Your best bet is probably to trawl the recipe section. The vast majority of those recipes have either been designed and used by members here, or they are tried and true recipes. We have a policy of posting recipes that we've actually brewed and like the results.

A few of us have made beer professionally, but I don't know how much help you'll get from them.

Ben,

In my last batch of home brew I used about 13-14# of Malt and 4oz of Hops (Plug style).

2-1/2 gallons of mash water and 1-1/2 gallons added to the mash. 3-1/4 gallons of sparge water.

Hope this helps

Regards,
JC
http://home.tx.rr.com/jeffcretella/friscobrew.htm

BenR said:
Hi everybody,

I'm Ben Reiniger, a senior at Illinois State University. I'm currently enrolled in a statistics course, and am required to put together a project using what has been learned this semester.

I homebrew a bit and have decided to work with beer for my project. Depending on what data I'm able to get, I'd like to compare how certain aspects of brewing differ depending on who's doing the brewing. In particular I would like to compare how large-scale commercial brewers, microbreweries, and homebrewers compare with respect to hop and malt usage, as well as alcohol content. If it comes together well enough, I'd also like to compare different beer styles (stouts, lagers, pales, etc.).

As such, I would very much appreciate it if you could provide for some of your beers the style of beer, weight of malt (and other fermentables), hops per volume, and/or alcohol by volume.

Thank you very much for your support. If the project turns out at all decently, I'd be happy to provide you with a copy of the report if you would like.

Ben Reiniger
[email protected]

I brew ME brews thusly:

about 6# ME, 2 oz hops.

all grain thusly:

about 6-10 lb grain, 1-4 oz hops, depending on style.

Partial mash thusly:

4-6# grain, 3lb ME & 1-4 oz hops, depending on style.

Not so sure how much water I use in the process, when you take into account cleaning, etc. It's a lot more than the 5 gallons I end up with. Probably 20-25 gallons per batch (??)

The following is after converting everything to a 5 gallon batch, and taking an average of it all:

13.48 lbs of grain
3.12 ounces of hops
OG: 1.08
ABV is a little more difficult to pinpoint, since I don't always ferment out the same, so the best I can do here is 7.3-8.6%

Styles are generally the following, (in order of most often produced): APA, Amer. Amber, (D)IPA

There have also been some Stouts, Porters, Belgian Strong Ales, Barleywines, and some "Specialty" beers from time to time that are too difficult to classify.

Back