Brewing, spring & pollen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorcycleMike

Reaction score
I finaly got all the gear in and ready to start my first brew. It's beautiful here in the Atl. area but raining pollen. You can see it floating in the air. Is that a problem working outside?

Could be a problem. Not an issue while boiling but I wouldn't want to leave cooled wort uncovered outside for any length of time.

I agree... no biggie while boiling but I would image pollen could / would be carrying wild yeast. That is obviously no good for your brew.

Does this imply you'll be moving a pot of boiling liquid? Not recommended.

Just cover the pot when chilling with some sanitized foil or a lid.

5 gallon boil in an 11 gallon pot. I think I can move it safely. But if covering while useing a immersion chiller is OK I'll go that way.

I'm in the same situation MC Mike... Clouds of the stuff blowing through Columbia SC right now. I had my first boil last night... Luckily I have a gas stove so I was inside the whole time. I was a little worried about aeration.... Time will tell...

I would NOT recommend moving a pot of boiling liquid. I did that a few months ago, slipped and spilled it all over myself. Not fun. I still have permanent scarring on my arm. Honestly...don't do it.

The pollen is the same here in Upstate SC...Basically it's friggin nuts lol. I'm gonna be brewing my first partial grain batch on thursday this week and was wondering about this myself. I'm gonna be brewing in my garage but that doesn't mean the pollen hasn't made its way in there. But I figured if I keep everything covered after the boil and pitch the yeast inside everything should work fine.

DWRHAHB?? Right?

Back