Brewing solo in Korea... need help! Expired yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
Hi there everyone...

I'm jumping in and brewing my first batch of beer this weekend... however theres a small problem. I ordered my yeast from the supply store here in Korea, and it showed up the other day but it was expired! Its liquid yeast that said the best before date is Oct 17, 2007... and I'm planing on pitching that yeast on Oct 28, 2007.

So what do you figure... think it will still be ok? Or should I just call the dude up and wait until he gets his next shipment of yeast in?

Thanks!

T

:mug:

definitely make a starter, and get some dry yeast next time you order from the HBS. keep it in the fridge so that if you ever have yeast problems in the future, you will have a backup fermentation plan

I havent had much of an issue with my starters being in light. Of course, I still havent PITCHED a starter. :( I have just messed around with propogating yeast, my starter is now a week or so old. Just seeing how long those yeast can live...

Sorry, I got carried away.

Yeah like everyone said make a starter and see.

You're in Daegu I assume? I've been brewing for a while in Seoul, we should do a beer swap some time :)

Now that you can get dried wheat yeast from www.housebeer.co.kr you should be able to do almost every beer with dried yeast, since I'm trying to stick to since I don't really trust Korean companies to store/ship liquid yeast properly.

Sound good Bosh... we will have to talk more.

Guys... I have a question about starters. So when I do it... am I growing more yeast, or just reactivating dead yeast cells inside the liquid yeast?

I understand I need to make a starter... but whats happening to the yeast in the starter?

Nice link, Bosh - wish I'd known about them when I was over there. 4,000₩ is a little steep for dry yeast, but I guess that's the price of homebrewing in a place where OB, Hite, and Cass are considered good beer. Looks like they have S-04, K-97, and S-23 available - that'll allow you to brew most styles with a fair bit of success. Good luck guys!

tboneindaegu said:
Sound good Bosh... we will have to talk more.

Guys... I have a question about starters. So when I do it... am I growing more yeast, or just reactivating dead yeast cells inside the liquid yeast?

I understand I need to make a starter... but whats happening to the yeast in the starter?

In a starter you grow more yeast you you'll need something for the yeast to eat in there, there's a lot of instructions about how to do it floating around on the internet.

Nice link, Bosh - wish I'd known about them when I was over there. 4,000₩ is a little steep for dry yeast
Well I can get Muntons for 2,000 won and Mr. Beer for 1,000, I'm happy I can get the wheat safale so I don't have to spend 13,900 for liquid yeast.

The real killer is 5,000 won for 500 grams of DME, that really drives up the cost :(

Bosh said:
Yeah like everyone said make a starter and see.

You're in Daegu I assume? I've been brewing for a while in Seoul, we should do a beer swap some time :)

Now that you can get dried wheat yeast from www.housebeer.co.kr you should be able to do almost every beer with dried yeast, since I'm trying to stick to since I don't really trust Korean companies to store/ship liquid yeast properly.
Do you guys want me to bring some yeast/supplies over for you? I'm scheduled to land in Seoul on 26 Nov. I'll be there for 2 weeks...

So I just woke up... 10 hours later and my starter is just sitting there doing nothing. Shouldn't there be some kind of activity?

Looks like all the yeast is just collecting in the bottom...

tboneindaegu said:
So I just woke up... 10 hours later and my starter is just sitting there doing nothing. Shouldn't there be some kind of activity?

Looks like all the yeast is just collecting in the bottom...

Give it a swirl every few hours.

It is quite possible it has already finished up. Do you see a faint ring above the wort line?

I don't see a ring... just checked the temp... its 21 degrees... is that too cool?

This may sound stupid as well... but I made my starter in a glass container, but I used a welches grape juice container. I cleaned it out, and even sterilized it with some bleach. But now when I was checking the temp, it smelled like grape juice?

Did I mess up?

tboneindaegu said:
I don't see a ring... just checked the temp... its 21 degrees... is that too cool?

This may sound stupid as well... but I made my starter in a glass container, but I used a welches grape juice container. I cleaned it out, and even sterilized it with some bleach. But now when I was checking the temp, it smelled like grape juice?

Did I mess up?

RDWHAHB. ;)

I love this thread....only cuz we have some homebrew brothers from Korea joining in.

Don't sell your yeast short. It is more than likely just fine. Pitch it when you're ready and don't give it a thought for at least 72 hours.

Always keep dry yeast on hand. One thing you'll find around here is that most of us (sorry BP), have dethroned the mystique of liquid yeasts and resolved that 90% of the great beers can be made using dry yeast.

Dude said:

lol... man what does that mean?

To order beer in Korean you have to say "mekju jusayo".

Mekju is beer, and jusayo roughly means "please bring me".

Interestingly... I went out and ran some errands for a couple of hours... and when I came back... it appeared there was more sediment in the bottom of the glass than before.

Very interesting...

tboneindaegu said:
lol... man what does that mean?

To order beer in Korean you have to say "mekju jusayo".

Mekju is beer, and jusayo roughly means "please bring me".

Interestingly... I went out and ran some errands for a couple of hours... and when I came back... it appeared there was more sediment in the bottom of the glass than before.

Very interesting...
RDWHAHB= relax dont worry have a homebrew
Welcome to the forum.
JJ

I already know how to order a beer from you, Dude. :mug:

T-bone: RDWHAHB = Relax, Don't Worry Have A Home Brew.

You'll get plenty of good advice here. Someday (rather soon) you'll be able to give it right back. In the mean time, you can tell us something we don't know... like Korean phrases, etc. It make it a bit more fun for all of us.

If the sediment (I'm assuming it looks like white paste?) is building, then don't do anything yet. The yeast starts by multiplying a bunch, building up numbers before it really starts eating the sugar. I bet after one more day it'll be bubbling away.

Well guys... my little starter is working. I gave it a little shake this morning and it hissed at me! Took the cap off a little and I can hear it doing its thing.

Thanks for the advice...

So now what... when I want to pitch it I just swirl it around and dump it in?

tboneindaegu said:
So now what... when I want to pitch it I just swirl it around and dump it in?
yep you got it!!! dont hesitate to give it a swirl from time to time untill you pitch it
try to keep it under air lock untill then and keeping the temp at your pitch temp will be a bonus as well
Happy brewing
JJ

Now start reading threads on freezing and keeping harvested yeast. You could split your starter, and keep half of it for the next batch. Then keep building the other half for this batch.

I might give that a go next time guys...

Right now I'm just freaking out hoping that I cleaned everything properly...

I brewed up the beer on Monday... so its been going for a day now... but no bubbles as of yet.

tboneindaegu said:
Hi there everyone...

it showed up the other day but it was expired! Its liquid yeast that said the best before date is Oct 17, 2007... and I'm planing on pitching that yeast on Oct 28, 2007.

T

Chances are that the yeast was packed on that date and not the expiry date you think it is.
I have brewed with starters made from liquid yeast that was 2 years old and made great beer. Just took a little longer to build up the starter.

Interesting that this questions was already asked. I bought some yeast yesterday at a LHBS and noticed that it had a best used by date of 10/30/07. I wasn't too happy with my purchase and went ahead and pitched the yeast. Is it just a case of whether the yeast are alive or not, or can they "spoil?" I'd hate to waste the money and time on a whole batch only to pitch some funky yeast. It's WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast and I just smelled the started and it definitely doesn't smell like a belgian. =/

homebrewer_99 said:
OK, I just found out that I'll be in Tonduchon for 2 weeks.

Anyone want/need some supplies brought over?

Right now I am planning on taking 2 small suit cases...one almost empty (for souvenirs) so if there's something you need let me know.

Bill

[email protected]

Thanks... I'll PM you soon.

I'm still a bit worried about my first batch of beer here guys/gals. I made a starter and all that, and its been 3 days and I'm not seeing and signs of fermentation yet.

Should I get some more yeast and pitch again?

If you're worried: repitch. be sure to use the same yeast. You can't hurt anything by doing that, and it'll make you sleep easier.

Back