Quantcast

Brewing Software for MAC

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JDengler

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a brewing software that's MAC compatible?

flyangler18

Reaction score
BeerAlchemy and Beer Tools Pro both run on OSX; you can get Beersmith to run if you install Parallels.

I used both Beer Alchemy and BTP; I prefer BTP.

OP
J

JDengler

Reaction score
Great thanks....

I'm trying both of them out. I can't quite decide which works better for me.

williec30

Reaction score
quick plug for brewblogger... you can run the software in the default web space on your mac. obviously a bit more involved with the need for a web server and mysql... very nice for anywhere access however ;)

cruster

Reaction score
I really like Homebrew Formulator. I've been using it since I went all-grain about 2 years ago. It's a really nice balance of user friendly and what I'll call "tweaky." I've tried demos of Beer Tools Pro and Beer Smith; I'm sure they're great but I felt like Homebrew Formulator was a lot easier to use without being dumbed down.

schristian619

Reaction score
I have beer alchemy and btp, and prefer beer alchemy. I like being able to see my target numbers and actual numbers side by side. Although it's inventory system is useless

OP
J

JDengler

Reaction score
I really like Homebrew Formulator. I've been using it since I went all-grain about 2 years ago. It's a really nice balance of user friendly and what I'll call "tweaky." I've tried demos of Beer Tools Pro and Beer Smith; I'm sure they're great but I felt like Homebrew Formulator was a lot easier to use without being dumbed down.
I have tried to get Hombrew Formulator several times and the link from Version Tracker is missing for some reason. Is there another way to get it?

Mad_Milo

Reaction score
Akron OH - Where the weak are killed and eaten.
The developer abandoned the project and took down everything related from the original site. His last gift was BeerXML export so those who wish to move on, can.

Me? I still use it, and have entered fermentables and other missing items as I come across them. The program still suits my needs, especially for the price ;)

Some quality time with Google provided one of the few remaining live mirrors...

Homebrew Formulator

aaronbeer

Reaction score
I use beer tools pro. It is a little hard to get going, but there are some tutorial on youtube that really are helpful!

GillandCo

Reaction score
I use beer tools pro. It is a little hard to get going, but there are some tutorial on youtube that really are helpful!
Bobby_M's? I have an Old laptop with BS on it...but might invest in BTP for the MAC since im always on it.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use BTP and like it except for getting mash schedules into it properly. I have been i the habit of taking an obnoxious amount of notes during my brew sessions for the last few months and I am at the point now that I am simply referring to my notes for similar batches as opposed to trying to get my mash schedule set up correctly in BTP.

I use BTP really only for recipe construction, storage and computing the basics like ABV, SRM, etc... and I do like the comparison to BJCP style that it does.

But for mash schedules... like I was saying, I have found taking and then referring back to notes from actual brew sessions is a lot easier and accurate.

Instead of BTP telling me my infusion rate should be... for example... 5 gallons at 175 degrees... I'll go back to last time I made the beer (or one very similar to it). If I did an infusion of 5 gallons at 175, I'll record what my mash ended up at... and if I short armed the target temp slightly, I'll try 5 gallons at 180... and make a note of it.

Going this route has made a huge difference in getting things right.

logdrum

Reaction score
Tried all of the free trials-BTP, BA, BT, always return to Homebrew Formulator. It just works for me. Even the SRM screen colors match the resultant beer!

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

cl330b

Reaction score
Beer alchemy, hands down. I have been a Mac cat for a very long time. BA has been very reliable. You will not regret your purchase. I can develop recipes away from home and sync with my home Mac. I am very happy with Beer Alchemy! (I have also tried BTP, not that great).

wyoder

Reaction score
beer alchemy, hands down. I have been a mac cat for a very long time. Ba has been very reliable. You will not regret your purchase. I can develop recipes away from home and sync with my home mac. I am very happy with beer alchemy! (i have also tried btp, not that great).
+1

Burgs

Reaction score
BeerAlchemy is a VERY nice program. I like that if you only want to use it for recipe storage, you can. If you'd like to go further and make batches out of those recipes, then you can do that as well. I'm also a stickler for interface design and BeerAlchemy is well thought out and easy to use.

PowellAvenueBrew

Reaction score
I'm also using BeerAlchemy and am really liking it. I'm looking forward to seeing what advances he has made with the full re-write to version 2.0. Also iBrewMaster is headed to the Mac and I believe he will have a demo at GABF. Hoping to check it out while I'm there as I really like his iOS app.

nepatsfan1

You do drugs Danny? All the time
Reaction score
I use Beer Tools Pro and out of all of them the interface is cleaner and easier to use.

golphur

Reaction score
Beer Alchemy here. Used most of the trials and preferred BA. The iPhone app put me over the top too. Just made a recipe on my phone at lunch!