Brewing screw-ups that turned out great. Your stories please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
We've all had brewing screw-ups for sure,some disastrous, some turn out OK anyway, and some turn out great despite the screw-up. I'm currently drinking a delicious all Centennial Ale that I thought I wrecked on brewday. I had 10-15 minutes left in the boil and was about to add my finishing hops when I realized that I never added my bittering hops. Oh Noo! I quickly started throwing in whole leaf hops (Centennial) and lots of them, well 2 ounces or so. I finished up, prayed to the beer Gods for leniency and waited. Well a month later I am rewarded with and excellent ale that is perfectly balanced and well bittered. Thank you beer Gods. So do you have a story about a big brewing mistake that turned out great anyway?

my latest was making 8 batches of Honey Wheat Ale for a wedding. ordered all the supplies ahead of all the batches. around batch 5 i spilled 4 lbs of honey, so had to start mixing my nice organic orange blossom with crap from the super market. also realized on batch 7 i was running out of hops, so used half as much for the last 2 batches.

but, in the end, i blended all 8 batches together and split them into 8 kegs, and i would never want to brew this beer any other way.

Back