Brewing Salts and Trifecta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a similar query in a different section but came up crickets. It shouldn't be too hard to answer but I'm hung up on the mechanics of the calculation. That, plus the fact that it's been eons since I pondered much about ions. Here goes:

"Broothru brews beer and adds "Trifecta" (1 part NaMeta : 1 part Ascorbic Acid : 2 parts BrewTan B) to both mash water (1.4 gr.) and boil pot (1.6 gr.)"
"Broothru intends to brew a Continental Lager using distilled water, adding very limited amounts of "brewing salts".

"If Broothru adds 3 grams of "Trifecta" to 9 gallons of distilled water, how many Parts Per Million (ppm) of sodium anion and sulfate cation will result from the 0.75 grams of sodium metabisulfite (Na2S2O5)?"

Extra points for showing your work.*

*(yes, I realize that mg/l is roughly equivalent to ppm, but I don't trust my math or chem skills; it's been a few years).

A summary of the result of metabisulfite addition is presented in the Water Knowledge section of the Bru'n Water site. General 5 | Bru'n Water

Based on the 1000 mg (1 gram of the 3 grams of Trifecta) of SMB in 34 liters of water, the resulting dose is about 29 mg/L. Since the results shown on the Water Knowledge site are based on 9 mg/L dose, the resulting Na and SO4 concentrations from the Trifecta dose are about 3.2 times the values reported there. So it appears that it would be about: 7 ppm Na and 26 ppm SO4.

A summary of the result of metabisulfite addition is presented in the Water Knowledge section of the Bru'n Water site. General 5 | Bru'n Water

Based on the 1000 mg (1 gram of the 3 grams of Trifecta) of SMB in 34 liters of water, the resulting dose is about 29 mg/L. Since the results shown on the Water Knowledge site are based on 9 mg/L dose, the resulting Na and SO4 concentrations from the Trifecta dose are about 3.2 times the values reported there. So it appears that it would be about: 7 ppm Na and 26 ppm SO4.

Thank you, Martin.

Back