Brewing Process Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NortheasternPJ

Reaction score
I'm doing an Alaskan Amber Clone based off this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/alaskan-amber-recipe-help-96195/

The recipe calls for:
I have the BYO 150 in front of me here is what it says

Extract
2lb 2 oz light DME
3.3 lbs Light LME (Late addition)
1lb 2 row pale malt
1lb crystal malt 40L
.66lb crystal malt 60L
.33lb crystal malt 90L
3.33 AAU Cascade for 60
3.33 AAU Saaz for 15
1 tsp Irish moss for 15
Wyeast 1007 german ale or WLP029
3/4 corn sugar for prime.

My question is, should I steep the 4 types of grains normally (155 degrees for 30 minutes) or is this a partial mash? If so, I can follow the partial mash directions thread on here.

Also, should I brew it in as much water as possible? I can get 3.5 gallons to boil on my stove but most extract kits call for 2 or so.

The fact that there is a pound of two-row in there indicates that you are to mash the speciality grains. For such a small mount of fermentables, you could just skip that part (1lb 2 row, 2lb crystal isn't much), steep and add 2 pound or so of extract.

You could also partial mash. It's dead easy if you have a good reliable thermometer and some spare time (it easily adds an hour to the brew time).

I'd boil as much water as possible without increased risk of boil-over and mess.

I"m about 45 minutes into the partial mash now, as you said its dead easy, just keeping an eye on the temp. Not sure why i was afraid of a partial mash before. Thanks for the help!

If you are using the deathbrewer method, one thing I did differently was use a small pan to catch the drippings from the bag (drop it in, wait 10 minutes, sparge, repeat after sparge) instead of holding it on top of the wort. Easier on the back, but with only 3lbs of grain in there, I wouldn't worry.

Thats exactly what I did. Partial Mash is taking a lot longer (as you said) but I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. The amount of wort vs the amount of top off vs a pure extract method is a big difference.

BIAB is really idot proof if you've ever been around a kitchen for more than 10 minutes to grab a sandwich. Same thing with boiling. It's the prepping, cleaning and sanitizing everything that has proved to be the biggest hassle. That and cooling wort.

Back