Brewing outside, at night...pitfalls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I may try to brew AG, late afternoon, well into the evening, in the backyard this Thursday (can't bear to watch...er, nevermind).

I have brewed in this spot before, broad daylight, and am just wondering what extra potential problems may crop up...?

Need to plan for enough lighting in the right places, of course.
Anything else?

(Reminds me the first time I did brew there, found an oak leaf in my wort...!)

watch out for leaves at all times of day, but at dusk bugs come out in force, you may want some kind of repellent just make sure it doesnt get into your wort.

I've brewed outside in the evenings on many occasions- as long as you have enough light so you're not fumbling in the dark, you'll be fine.

Flood lights from a distance to draw bugs away. If you've had a frost...you should be good.

I'd advise not drinking too much...since it's already late in the day.

If you are near any actual pits that you might fall into, I recommend marking them with reflective tape or putting up some sort of barrier.

TL

The only problem I run into brewing at night is noise, but I live in an apartment, so my neighbors are VERY close to me. I also tend to start brewing at 10pm or so sometimes, which puts my wort in the fermenter around 3am. My pump is really loud, so I have to take are to not be too loud otherwise, and try to muffle the sound as best as possible when brewing at night.

i did a batch with a headlamp 'cause the outside light burnt out at our place. turned out just fine, but i def. missed a little clean up, but that may have been due to the beer drinking as much as the night time beer brewing...

I have brewed outside at night many times. As everyone above said just make sure you have enough light to see things coming off trees or in the wind.

Oh, OK, I did not think about the headlamp.. very good suggestion!

No, no drinking really, I have enough trouble keeping it all going straight without adding that to the brew session...!

There is a small lighted porch near my brew area, hopefully bugs will go there.

I'll take pics!!

If you start in the afternoon and brew into the evening you should be fine.

I have tried starting my brews late in the evening and brewing through the morning and I tell ya' it can get brutal once you start to get tired. The next day you start questioning everything as if it were the first beer you'd ever brewed.

Oh, OK, I did not think about the headlamp.. very good suggestion!

No, no drinking really, I have enough trouble keeping it all going straight without adding that to the brew session...!

There is a small lighted porch near my brew area, hopefully bugs will go there.

I'll take pics!!

No drinking? I didn't think it was possible to brew beer without drinking. I crave a beer more than ever when brewing.

Make sure you aren't too tired when you start, I have a bad habit of starting late and going into the early hours of the morning, and it really does get exhausting.

If you start in the afternoon and brew into the evening you should be fine.

I have tried starting my brews late in the evening and brewing through the morning and I tell ya' it can get brutal once you start to get tired. The next day you start questioning everything as if it were the first beer you'd ever brewed.

I completely agree, couldn't have said it better.

(I know you!)

I rarely drink when I am making beer. I guess I just don't think about it.

The only 2 times I didn't have a homebrew while brewing, something went terribly wrong.:( A 100% track record of having a problem when I don't have at least one while brewing.

Back