Brewing on Injured Reserve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
So I had to have an emergency appendectomy the night before X-Mas eve. Everything went well but I still can't do any heavy lifting for several weeks and my All-grain setup requires that I lug my kettle, mash tun, a lot of heavy stuff down a flight of stairs, so All-grain brewing is out for awhile:(

I am obviously totally hooked on brewing because the fact that I haven't brewed in 3 weeks is driving me crazy!

So I guess it's back to extract or partial mash, which I haven't done in a long time. I can just have my wife carry the fermenter down at the end. It sounds crazy, but I feel like I have to brush up on how to do an extract or partial mash brew.

I used to use the bucket inside a bucket method for my partial mashes.

So now that I have my all-grain equipment (10 gallon rubbermaid HLT and MLT), what is the best way to do a brew just in my kitchen? My 7.5 gallon kettle won't fit on the stove so I just have a 5 gallon kettle.

So I would just do like a 3 gallon boil and then steep my grains or should I do them in the MLT?

I can't believe that I'm a little confused about how to go backwards in the brewing process because my All-Grain method is pretty polished at this point and I've been very happy with the resulting beers.

This not being able to lift is getting really annoying. I'm also going to be bummed when I go to my LHBS and realize how much it costs to do a batch of extract buy I must brew:) Suggestions?

Back