Brewing on a 3bbl system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard that brewing a 5 gallon recipe to a 30 gallon recipe the hops aren't linear. Using beersmith and setting up the equipment for a 31 gallon batch and the hops come out to 4.5 oz. Where as my 5 gallon batch is .75 oz . This addition is @60 . Thats linear its 6 xs the 5 gallon batch.

Anyone that brews 1 bbl batches out there that can give me some tips . I'm curious about yeast as well . I use 1 pack of yeast and use propper starter for a starter . Do I just x by 6 ?

Any advice on brewing large batches is appreciated. Thank you

I’m pretty sure it’s still linear at that scale. I’ve scaled down some 20 bbl ipa recipes and they came out damn near the same.

For yeast you should definitely use one of the calculators to determine what your 30 gallon pitch rate is going to be. For reference, I normally brew 14 gallon batches and build up 3 step starters from a single pack of yeast (2l, 3.5l, 5l)

I’m pretty sure it’s still linear at that scale. I’ve scaled down some 20 bbl ipa recipes and they came out damn near the same.

For yeast you should definitely use one of the calculators to determine what your 30 gallon pitch rate is going to be. For reference, I normally brew 14 gallon batches and build up 3 step starters from a single pack of yeast (2l, 3.5l, 5l)

Hey thanks for the response 👍
Been looking at the brewers friend yeast calculator. Looks like a step starter is in my future .

Hey thanks for the response 👍
Been looking at the brewers friend yeast calculator. Looks like a step starter is in my future .

Brewers friend is my go to. There’s a recipe scale feature in the recipe builder too.

I've heard that brewing a 5 gallon recipe to a 30 gallon recipe the hops aren't linear. Using beersmith and setting up the equipment for a 31 gallon batch and the hops come out to 4.5 oz. Where as my 5 gallon batch is .75 oz . This addition is @60 . Thats linear its 6 xs the 5 gallon batch.

Anyone that brews 1 bbl batches out there that can give me some tips . I'm curious about yeast as well . I use 1 pack of yeast and use propper starter for a starter . Do I just x by 6 ?

Any advice on brewing large batches is appreciated. Thank you
The formulas used by Beersmith or any other program are basically worthless as they don't take into account factors such as system size or yeast used, all of which have an impact on IBU yield. As a result they could be in error by as much as a factor of 2 in either direction.
Are you really going to brew 3 bbl or is it only 30 gallons? 3 bbl would actually be 18 times 5 gallons so you'd need 18 times as much yeast and that's a really big starter.

The formulas used by Beersmith or any other program are basically worthless as they don't take into account factors such as system size or yeast used, all of which have an impact on IBU yield. As a result they could be in error by as much as a factor of 2 in either direction.
Are you really going to brew 3 bbl or is it only 30 gallons? 3 bbl would actually be 18 times 5 gallons so you'd need 18 times as much yeast and that's a really big starter.

Its a 3bbl system but he only brews 1 bbl

Back