Brewing my first stout. Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
So the only beers I've ever drunk have been largers so naturally the first two homebrews I've made have been largers. Now that I've done that I want to try different types of beer. I've never had a stout before so I might as well brew one. So here are my questions:
1. Does the 1-2-3 method apply still?
2. If it's a dark beer how will I know if the yeast has dropped out?
3. Is there anything I should know that's different from making larger kits?

Btw, it's the youngs stout kit.

Thank you for any help.

The 1-2-3 rule will still work fine, but you will find that stouts need a month or two in the bottle to get REALLY good. You can also leave them in the secondary for a month or two to volume condition, which I prefer. This also solves the problem of knowing whether the yeast has settled -- it definitely will after a month in the secondary.

Fermentation temperature is really important for stouts (or more appropriately, the ale yeasts typically used to make stouts). Be sure to check out the manufacturers recommended temperature and shoot for the mid-point of the range (generally in the mid- to high-60's). You might also pitch your yeast into wort that is on the cool side of this range, and be sure to aerate REALLY well.

Hope the brew goes well!

In dark beer, the yeast is lighter in color at the bottom of the fermenter. Take a FG to tell when it is done, then secondary it for a couple of weeks or more. Leave it in the bottle for a month to let the flavors settle together. My $0.02 anyway...

I brewed an oatmeal stout back in January... it is getting really good now, still a case and a half left... It was in the secondary for 2 months, been in the bottles for about three... entering it into a comp. this week! Age the heck out of it, it makes a big difference.

Pol

Today I purchased a commercial stout as I wanted to taste it since I was brewing one. Wow! It was great! It was like having a dessert. I love stout.

I brewed a Cherry Stout (Midwest Kit). The OG was 1.045. I have had it in the Secondary for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Should I follow the advice above and keep it in the Secondary for another two weeks or so? I was going to bottle tomorrow but, instead, I will get another beer in the Primary, if it is better to wait.

It can't hurt to leave it in the secondary a little longer. You don't want to keep it in there so long that autolysis occurs. Many people will tell you that bulk conditioning is the way to go.

Just be aware that there are many varieties of stout so what you brew may not be very close to what you sampled.
The two stouts I have brewed have not changed noticeably from 2 months to 6 months, so I'm not so sure that stout has to age. It should keep a little better as the dark color better protects the hops from skunking and provides a small level of antioxidants. Obviously something like an Imperial Stout will require more aging than a dry stout.
Good luck and enjoy.

Craig

Back