Brewing mistake... what to expect????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddemaagd

Reaction score
So we made the AHS Belgian White mini-mash last night...

Everything was going great, until we started to cool the wert using a copper-coil wert cooler. The hose was connected, but not well enough and some of the hose water got into the wert. (I had just left a few minutes earlier to go to dinner.) So my brother and his friend decided to bring the wert to the boil again, fearing that the water may have bacteria in it that would ruin the beer.

So they returned it to a boil, connected the wert cooler better, and cooled the wert. The S.G we were shooting for was 1.048 and the actual was 1.041. They decided to add some priming sugar to the cooled wert, and the reading did not change.

So of course they added the yeast and aerated and now its fermenting.

Does anyone forsee trouble????

Thanks!!!

It will be fine....After all you did return the wort to a boil, so you killed any (doubtful) nasties that may have dripped from your leaky chiller. I know people with slightly leaky chillers that don't even bother re-boiling.

Relax, dont worry, have a homebrew. I would not have added anything. In fact, I would not have worried as much about the hose, unless it had been sitting in an area where it get get alot of contaminants. I have done stupid things in my years and have not had a bad batch.

Let it ferment, bottle and drink It is a Wit so it should be cloudy.

Since it was reboiled, the only thing you might notice is a bit of difference in taste- maybe just a bit more bitter with less hops flavor. That's all I can think of.

Ditto what Yooper said. Less hop flavor and aroma, maybe more bitter. Since a wit is fairly low hop bitter, you should still be fine.

Might just have something that knocks your socks off and trying to recreate it will be an all consuming passion of yours from this brew on out. :)

My wort chiller did that the second time I used it. I estimate I gained .3 gallons of tap water through a cruddy old hose, before I noticed it.

the beer tasted great. I wouldn't worry.

and when I say "old cruddy hose" i mean it. there was even some mildew spots inside the hose feeding water to the chiller.

thanks for the responses guys. if it were me, i wouldn't have worried about reboiling when a bit of water got in the wert. oh well, i'm still hoping for a delicious beer. I'll beer sure to update when its ready to be tested in a few weeks.

Back