Brewing Math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to brewing, and have two extract batches under my belt. I would like to learn more about the math involved in the recipes that I often look at. I haven't messed with a hydrometer at all yet, so I haven't really cared up until now. Are there any useful books to look into are online resources to reference? I have messed with some of the online recipe calculators but right now I am just trying to familiarize myself with all of the variables to consider. Also if there is something out there that would explain all of the terms used in these calculators, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Try starting with the complete joy of homebrewing, by papazian.

I had been brewing for a couple of years, and made the switch to all-grain I read Designing great beers by daniels. I liked his book so far the best out of the dozen or so i've read. He does a great job providing nice guidelines within styles and a nice bit of historical context as well.

There is enough brewing math to choke a horse at www.wetnewf.org. The stuff was written by an engineer from an engineering viewpoint and may be beyond your grasp at this point but I suppose it can't hurt to go there and have a look. The meat is in a series of pdf articles but pages with less detail that refer to the pdf's are gradually being worked in.

Back