Brewing Mags, Which ones do you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
My SWMBO just got me a subscription to BYO. It is a pretty good mag. What one do you all get and are they any good?

I suspect very few people get brewing mags. I've been brewing 5 years and haven't even looked at one, much less subscribed. I pick up the two regional brewing newletters, but they're a completely different breed.

dedicated BYo subscriber for several years. i'm also in the AHA and get Zymurgy every quarter. zymurgy isn't near as good as BYO. don't know of any other homebrew mag out there.

I pick up the latest copy of BYO whenever I drop by my LHBS. Decent mag, just wish each issue was bigger :) I've heard of Zymurgy, but have never seen a copy myself, so I can't really comment on it. Those are the only two mags I know of :(

Didn't "Hustler" close down?

You know, it's odd that I can't find any brewing mags at the big magazine shops, but there are at least 3 Marijuana growing mags available!

Which brings me to:

• When you are under age it is easier get Weed than Beer.
  • On the Coast (BC) you can smoke dope at the beach but you'll have six cops on your ass for drinking a beer in public!

:mad: I'll meet ya all at the beach in another 25 years :mad:

F'ing piss tests . . . but hey I do get to smash all the crap I want and shove needles into people . . . I guess it all balances out

The day I retire I'm walking out of the firehouse stark raving naked. Gonna have a big fat Bob Marley joint in 1 hand and a bottle of whiskey in the other. Hope smoking a joint is pretty much like smokeing a cig . . . I have experiance with the cigs

:drunk:

BTW that should be about 26 March 2031ish if anyone wants to help me with the Bob Marley joint

Yes... um... getting back to the original thread...

I subscribe to BYO and really like it. I wish it came out twelve times a year instead of just ten. I have purchased a copy of Zymurgy and it was okay. I'd buy it occasionally, but it just wasn't 'okay enough' for me to fork out the cash to join the AHA just so I could get the magazine.

While not a brewing magazine, per se, one I just got a trial issue of and plan to subscribe to is All About Beer. I liked it and I bet most of you would enjoy it, too.

All About Beer is pretty good. i always flip through one when i'm at Barne's and Noble sipp'n on some coffee.

Rhoobarb said:
While not a brewing magazine, per se, one I just got a trial issue of and plan to subscribe to is All About Beer. I liked it and I bet most of you would enjoy it, too.

I like All About Beer as well. Interesting read.

One I've been getting lately that just started is called Beers of the World. I have the first 2 issues and it has some nice reading as well. Hey, if it is about beer I'll probably enjoy it!!!!!!!

orrelse, is the "beers of the world" mag the one that has the article on Yankee beer and the great american beer festival?

BYO is a quality publication...I probably get half of my recipes from it (there's always at least one interesting one in each edition if not more). They also cover equipment really well. I think it appeals to the rank amateur as well as the experienced brewer.

BeeGee said:
BYO is a quality publication...I probably get half of my recipes from it (there's always at least one interesting one in each edition if not more). They also cover equipment really well. I think it appeals to the rank amateur as well as the experienced brewer.

i like BYO a lot too, but i have one complaint. they get in a rut on recipes and styles. they could mix it up a bit more. other than that, it's a great rag!

I have been waiting and waiting for the new BYO to no avail. I did not realize that it only comes out 8 times a year! $25 for 8 issues is not worth it to me. Seems rather steep.

Oh goody a new mag to read in the pooper!!!! Im running home now!!!

I'm Red Flaging that bad boy.

DeRoux's Broux said:
i second that. love the pale ale bit too (and the Saint Arnold Summer Pils is cool :cool: )....
The pale ale article is worth the price of the magazine alone (no, I'm not getting a kickback). I was kicking around on Promash at work incorporating some of the article's advice into my APA forumulation.

RichBrewer said:
I like BYO but it is too pricey for me to subscribe. I just pick one up now and then.

You would faint at the cost of it from Borders in Australia!!

Like blightybrewer I appreciate the BYO makes it into the hands of the overseas subscribers so quickly, Zymurgy takes months to paddle over the water.

Zymurgy has been better than it is now.

With both I reckon you get best value out of the first year, then they start to repeat on themselves quite a bit.

I like BYO. I subscribed to Zymurgy for 2 years, but I really didn't see much in it. I like practical info, although somewhat of a geek, didn't find much fun geeky stuff in Zymurgy. Glad others have the same opinion.

Back