Brewing light colored beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
I recently brewed an Imperial Ale using 12 pounds of light malt extract and a little bit of 10 degree crystal and vienna malts. According to the numbers, it should be pretty light in color. On the contrary, it's dark!!! What did I do wrong?

Is it still in the carboy, or have you seen it in a glass? All beers look darker in the carboy...........

Also Malt extract beers can be a bit darker too, from carmelization.

You can make them lighter by adding some or most of the extract near the end of the boil (give it fifteen minutes or so to make sure it's sanitized). This will reduce the caramelization that can result from brewing with extract. This will also help with your hops utilization (boiling in lower gravity = better extraction).

the_bird said:
You can make them lighter by adding some or most of the extract near the end of the boil (give it fifteen minutes or so to make sure it's sanitized). This will reduce the caramelization that can result from brewing with extract. This will also help with your hops utilization (boiling in lower gravity = better extraction).

I always thought this (about hop utilization), and wondered if I could wait till the end of the boil to add the extracts, but then read somewhere that the "extract character" would be there if I didn't boil for the full hour.

Someone talk more about caramelization. Does it only occur with extracts?

ablrbrau said:
Is it still in the carboy, or have you seen it in a glass? All beers look darker in the carboy............

It is still in the carboy, but it looks darker than the amber ale I brewed last week (with 60L crystal) next to it.

boo boo said:
Was that 12 pounds of extract for a 5 gallon batch?

Look up the Maillard effect on google. It affects everything that's heated.

I tend to brew 6 gallon batches. Unfortunately, I lost a gallon when the carboy cracked. Moral of the story: Buy a counterflow wort chiller.

You don't have to even go 15 minutes in the extract late method. Several Palmer recipes call for addition with 5 minutes left and others have extract added at knockout

For flavored beers (like a Black Raspberry Ale currently brewing) I use extra light DME 50/50 with rice solids, and sometimes skip the steeping grains altogether. This will give you a very pale beer. I've never simply made one like this and bottled with with no fruit added, but I might bottle up a six pack worth from this batch just to see how it turns out. I gotta believe it will be pretty bland.

mine always looks alot darker in the carboy..i tend to like the lighter ales...and i boil for the entire 60 mins...but end up with a pretty light beer

I brew extract, partial and all grain. I fimly believe those who speak of "extract character" could not spot it in a brew if they were not told it was extract. Even BJCP doesn't consider it!

Back