Brewing large batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

philelmes

Reaction score
Hi all. So ive done a few 5gallon (uk) batches ok beer now and have now managed to get a proper ale cask. I have a hlt, boiler and mash tun capable of 5gallons. Can any of you recomebd a way of brewing 9 gallons with the same equipment? Ie, maybe more concentrated wort and just top up with preboiled water to get 9gallons. How do i mash nearly 10kg of grain in a 24 ltr tun?

Shred

Beer Brewer & Blogger
Reaction score
I don't think I'd recommend topping up. First, you want to make sure you have a proper ratio of water to grains in the mash and second, you're going to lose a lot of efficiency if you don't sparge with enough water to get to you appropriate pre-boil volume.

I'd say your only options are to do 2 brews or upgrade your equipment.

Shred

Beer Brewer & Blogger
Reaction score
You could substitute some extract in place of some of your base malt. Just be sure you have enough 2-row to convert the rest of your grist.

ChelisHubby

Reaction score
The easy way would be to add Light extract, the better way would be to brew twice. If it was me I would give the extract way a try first and save money to upgrade for larger boils ect.:)

vincentAlpha

Reaction score
I'd just brew twice; wouldn't be too tricky to get a couple batches going in a day back to back since you can mash while boiling/cooling and not like you'd need to do much more cleaning. Just rinse out the MLT and reload.

vwmasstransit

Reaction score
Yea brew twice, I frequently brew twice in one day after a festival or party at my house. My friends tend drain the end of my pipeline quickly even when I have 20+ gallons. So to make up and prepare for the next I brew twice in one day. I'll brew the lower SRM first if I'm doing 2 different styles of beer.

OP
P

philelmes

Reaction score
Cheers for the suggestions guys. Ive gone down the upgrade route. Converting 2 large kegs. Possibly make a mash tun out of the 3rd.