Brewing lager at too high a temp. + banana smell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliffhanger

Reaction score
First off I'd like to introduce myself! This is my first post ever. I've just been lurking for a while mainly and read most of the FAQs and all that before I started brewing - All very helpful so cheers all!

Right so, the other week I kicked off my first ever brew after buying my kit - Muntons Gold Continental Pislner. I had a mate that bought an ale kit with his brew kit, which turned out amazing via minimal effort from him, so I thought I'd give it a go with a lager instead.

I'm brewing in my cupboard in the kitchen in my student halls (yehh) and if anyone has experienced these places, they are very well heated (overheated in fact) and I don't have access to the thermostat -

I was thinking when I got the kit that the temperature would be generally around 21 celsius (70ish fahrenheith) as standard, but my brew has been sat there at 24 (74 farenheit) pretty much steadily for about 10 days, and there is nothing I can do about it!

I have also noticed a really strong fruity banana smell coming out of my cupboard - it's quite pleasant but I'm not sure if my beer will taste good lke that.

Basically my questions to you guys are:

What is the worst thing that happens with a lager brewed at too high a temp?

Whats the deal with the smell of bananas and what will it do to my beer?!

Cheers,
Cliffhanger
:fro:

First of all, welcome!

It would be important to know what yeast strain you used. Many lager yeasts can be used at ale temperatures (though 70+ is pushing it a bit:)) but lager yeasts meant to be fermented at lower temperatures to keep phenols at a minimum, the banana flavor you're describing being one of them. It's perfectly normal, though doesn't fit the style of a continental pilsner.

Until you have a way to control fermentation temperatures, stick with ale yeasts or California/SanFran lager yeasts; those acclimatized to the west coast environment sans refrigeration and are thus able to be used properly at ~65-68 to produce clean steam/california-common hybrid-style beers

Welcome to the forum.

My guess is that the high fermentation temps are creating a ton of esters, hence the fruity smell. I've not smelled them much, but I can definately taste them when a beer is fermented too high.

For future reference, lagers need to be fermented around 50F and then lagered in the 30's. This of course depends on the yeast you're using. If you were using a yeast suitable for higher temps, you wouldn't have any issues.

Cheers for the fast responses guys.

About the yeast type - I just used what came with the tins, and it didn't specify on the packet. The instructions said to brew at room temp, so being a reputable company and a fairly costly beer kit one might assume that they provided me with the right kind of yeast but you never know :p

And yeh you're definitely right about the phenols, its that sort of fruity smell, I remember it well from my chemistry lessons at school. Funny that! I am fermenting it for a week or two longer than it said on the packet in the hope that any chemicals like that might break down a bit before I put it into the keg.

Hopefully next year I will move into a house that has a cooler area for brewing - I definitely want to start brewing some lagers for the summer after next. With a bit of luck this keg I brew will get more than consumed at a birthday party which just happens to be about 21 days after I am putting this brew in the keg, and I'm sure my mates won't be too fussy with how it tastes once they've had a few :D It might well be quite pleasant though.

For future reference, what sort of beer brews well at this temperature?

I was thinking maybe a wheat beer would be really nice some time, especially cold on a summer day, do those get lagered in a similar way? Plus is it easy to extract brew one with decent results? I have an IPA lined up for next time though :)

Wheat beers can be done very easily with extract. And yes, most of them will ferment at room temp. Since you're a bit higher than room temp though, I suggest trying out some belgians. They ferment very well at higher temps.

Beers good at high temps:
- Wheat (hefe/wit/kristal/dunkle)
- English browns (i.e. Newcastle)

Beers great at high temps:
- Anything with Belgian yeast
- Saison (see above:D)

**Note: not complete list :D:D:D :mug:

Back