Brewing Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanTilford

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm Dan and I'm completely new to brewing. So far I've been working on hard cider just to make sure I understand the basics before I tackle the main obstacle; beer.

I'm a pretty poor guy who is a manager at a low-key restaurant and do not make much money. My love of beer takes up most of my extra money and hey decided with what I have left, I'll make some beer!

I already have some of the basic equipment but the main thing I lack for brewing is a brew kettle -- these seem expensive and somewhat confusing to me. I have a flat glass gas stove (dont believe its induction) which makes it even more frustrating to find a cheap kettle. I don't care if it will last forever or if it's perfect, I just need it to work til I can save up money!

Heres the key, I received a $50 amazon gift card for my birthday and thats essentially my budget with shipping (do have Prime through my girlfriend so if the item has that, the shipping is free). Where I'm confused is apparently half of the ones I can afford won't work on my stove (non-flat bottom pots).

You guys were very helpful with my few cider experiments and hoping someone here with the time and experience can point me to the direction of a cheap kettle that will work for me on amazon.com

TLDR; I have a $50 amazon gift card, have a flat glass gas stove, and need a brew kettle.

Help please? Thanks guys I know you all are the best and can help. :mug:

(EDIT: My stove is a Maytag "Advanced Cooking System Super Capacity" the ID on it is 8114p695-60...not sure if it is induction or not but it is a flattop...google makes me think it is not induction)

A few routes you can take depending on how you want to go forward in this hobby. You can go 7.5-10 gallon and use it on your stove top with partial boils for the time being and leave that open for use in future endeavors in full boils, all grain, or BIAB. Or you can get a simple 5-6 gallon kettle for use with partial boils and extract or small batch BIAB. I've got a 10 gallon aluminum and a 5 gallon SS. I use the stainless steel for 1-gallon batches for tinkering with recipes and use the aluminum kettle for full boils on a propane burner outside.

Here's the 10 gallon. (no lid) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's the 5 gallon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FRJJSM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are a lot of options for getting the most bang for your buck. Just remember if you like the hobby, go on and buy the one for the future and save yourself from buying 2 of the same things. Used/new turkey fryers, restaurant supply places, Mexican grocers, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these I had looked at already and found reviews that said the bottom was not flat, therefor not ideal for a flat top stove.

dgrums, the 5 gallon one you posted I searched and people said it wouldnt work. BlindFaith another website said the Polar Economy you posted would not work with a flattop. This is why it gets so confusing for me. What seems like an easy choice, another person comes around and says it wont work.

After searching on here I noticed that most people buy turkey fryers if they have the type of stove I do. I don't want to invest that much fully yet but something to look into. While I was checking out those... I noticed this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062VZMY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Someone reviewed it is flat bottom and good for homebrewing. Anyone see a reason why this wouldnt work? Perfect for my budget.

P.S. Amazon has one from their warehouse with damaged packaging for only $20. Seems perfect (unless someone points out a flaw with this plan) and would able to afford other equipment I need to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I scored a 10gal aluminum tamale pot at smart and final for $19.99... Around christmas time. In the Los Angeles area, Super King Markets carry aluminum tamale pots of various sizes for reasonable rices (maybe $25 for 10 gal?)

You can find good deals if you're not set on getting a big stainless steel kette with valves and bulkheads already installed.

Good luck!

Thanks jratcliff, I'm on the east coast and have heard about good deals at Big Lots and Walmart but have yet to find anything.

Another note is right now I am just planning on using malt extract/ingredient kits from places like northern brewer. Nothing super complex but I'm still learning the basics. Nothing all-grain or overly complicated, just want to make a beer, drink it and say "hey I made this!" Now using the best ingredients/equipment possible and being super proud of that beer; I'm not there yet ;)

Don't be afraid of all grain. It's not that much more complicated. I started with Mr. Beer. Did about 4-5 Mr. Beer batches (Pre-hopped malt extract). Then did one full boil 5 gal extract batch with steeping grains from a recipe I found online (a Bass Ale clone).

I went AG BiaB right after and have been AG ever since. Used an Ikea voile curtain panel as my bag (2 panels for $4.50).

The mash step of AG isn't that hard and everything else is the same as an extract brew. Brewing software is your friend (I use brewtarget).

I'm sure it's not much more complicated and honestly I will be inheriting a good bit of land in the distant future and my fantasy (ha) is to start a little microbrewery there. But for now I'm still a newbie debating what type of kettle to get :)

I got my primary 8 gallon boil/steam pot from Target for $21.

I also got an 8 gallon pot with my turkey fryer. Check craigslist. Or your friends, they might have one that they aren't using. I basically traded a twelve pack of cider for a turkey fryer, several large pots, and an empty propane tank.

I used to brew on the stove. Then I went to a brew day with people using turkey fryers. I couldn't believe how fast the wort boiled. By next month's meeting, I had my outdoor setup. I'm never going back.

Not that I could afford it at the moment but with a turkey fryer is there any specific type/power I'm looking for? Once again affordability would be in the question and I always love a bargain :)

Main question is still would the kettle I posted a couple replies back work on my stove but secondary; for someone that knows nothing about turkey fryers what would I need to do that?

From what I understand you just hook it up to some propane and you're set? Assume theres no electric affordable models ;)

I got a turkey fryer and propane burner for around 35 bucks from Walmart or target don't remember. I can use it with propane outdoors. Or on my flat top stove so you might want To go that route. I haven't had any issues getting it to boil on either. Just my .02.

I have a flat top glass stove as well and I never had issues getting a boil out of my kettle and it isn't a flat bottom kettle. I think there is too much emphasis on flat bottom. You won't be doing full boils or anything right off the bat. Get a cheap SS kettle and roll with it......

Not that I could afford it at the moment but with a turkey fryer is there any specific type/power I'm looking for? Once again affordability would be in the question and I always love a bargain :)

Main question is still would the kettle I posted a couple replies back work on my stove but secondary; for someone that knows nothing about turkey fryers what would I need to do that?

From what I understand you just hook it up to some propane and you're set? Assume theres no electric affordable models ;)

Standard is 55,000 BTUs, there are some on the market that are around 40,000. As long as you're not making 10 gallon batches, there's not a whole lot of difference. Mine has a really good control valve, that's probably more important than power for most home brewers.

If you get a new fryer, you should let it burn the paint off before you try to make beer. Also, there is a carburetor to mess with at first to get the flame just right. Other than that, it's plug and play.

To answer the main question: Assuming that your stove is electric but not induction, it would work fine. It's just going to take a while to get the water up to a boil.

Dan,
Just so you don't discount the Turkey Fryer just yet, know that I got a turkey fryer that came WITH a 7.5gal Aluminum pot for only $40, at a Home Depot. Mine is only 45,000 BTU, but given a 6 gallon boil, I can achieve boil in under 15 minutes. And it was cheaper than buying a pot by itself at many retailers.

Back