Brewing ipad app?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fairly new to brewing and find Brewpal very useful. Only a couple of dollars. Beer style guidance is excellent. Timers tell you when to add hops etc.

Yeah, I love iBrewmaster. The ability to edit individual batches of a recipe is great. i have used both Beersmith and iBrewmaster. Beersmith is better for designing recipes but as a brewday tool, iBrewmaster is my favority

jsmcclure said:
Yeah, I love iBrewmaster. The ability to edit individual batches of a recipe is great. i have used both Beersmith and iBrewmaster. Beersmith is better for designing recipes but as a brewday tool, iBrewmaster is my favority

Is there a way to add a batch that's not on their list?

jimmarshall said:

Yeah, you create it as a recipe first then you select that recipe when creating a new batch

jimmarshall said:

Yes, you just go to the recipes page and hit the "+" sign on the left, and it will walk you through setting up the recipe. After you set up the recipe be sure to select it in "batches" so it will keep track of when you brewed it, and you can make adjustments that reflect how the actual brew day went without messing with the original recipe.

I currently use both BeerAlchemy 2 and iBrewMaster. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth, BeerAlchemy would be my perfect iPad brewing app if it wasn't for one exclusion, Timers/Alarms for mash and boil/hop additions. This exclusion is the only reason I currently use iBrewMaster as my main brewing app. However, I mirror everything I do in iBrewMaster to BeerAlchemy in hopes that someday soon it will include the timer/alarm function. iBrewMaster is very hard to master and the UI is fragmented and not well thought out in my opinion. You'll definitely need to spend a few days with the app and also refer to the manual many times. Looks like a hard-core windows or linux user designed this app. On the other hand, BeerAlchemy is very much Mac like, the workflow is easy to understand and use and not fragmented at all and the layout logical. There's a free trial Mac version. To me, a very useful thing with BeerAlchemy is I find it easier to design recipes from my iMac and keyboard. I also find it easier to enter batch notes, etc from my iMac. Once I enter them from the Mac version of BeerAlchemy, I just sync with my iPad and everything, including brewing notes, inventory additions/subtractions, new batches/recipes are now on my iPad. Lots of nice calculators as well.

Both will do the job and both are great programs. I'm a mac user and just find iBrewMaster very hard to navigate and the workflow is very cumbersome and fragmented. I've heard a major rewrite of the software UI is in the works and at that time I might change my mind, but for now, I highly recommend BeerAlchemy.

Jim

Another +1 for i BrewMaster. It's an excellent tool for crafting/tracking recipes and for keeping brewday flowing smoothly.

+1 for iBrewmaster. Took me a little while to get the hang of it, but it's very customizable to fit your needs. I haven't yet found anything that I wish it did but doesn't. It's worth the money.

Back