Brewing in the tropics...hops/herbs/malting help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
I'm currently living in Thailand hoping to brew up some beer (or more likely a gruit-like beer). I have access to raw sorghum and rice (not extract), local yeast (used for rice brandy), but no hops.

I prefer not to import hops considering time restraints. Homebrewing is illegal in Thailand (shh), so no hops are available for sale and there is but one microbrewery in town. No luck there. Please let me know if any of you have any tips/suggestions for brewing in the tropics, accessing hops or hop alternatives (ie. herbs).

One last thing...I've never malted my own grains and am not sure if I need to do so with the raw sorghum and rice. I've found info on other gluten-free grains such as millet, buckwheat, and amaranth, but not rice or sorghum.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot folks!

1. Do you know of any hop alternatives that would complement a sorghum and/or rice beer well? Any herbal recommendations or genius ideas?

2. Is it necessary to malt the sorghum and/or rice pre-mash?

Latest posts

Back