Brewing in the south

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingtiger

Reaction score
New kid on the block with a question about temps. I just finished my first batch last night and it's in the closet bubbling away with a temp around 76. My question is as fall (or should I say winter) approaches and the temps down here drop could I place the fermenter in the crawl space (no basement) of my house where the temp stays fairly constant. I didn't know if critters would get in or if any odors would somehow find there way in.

Man, being in Biloxi (not that distant from Auburn) I would have to say that 76 is already too hot and doubt your crawl space is going to do you much better. One key about temp control is trying to keep it steady as possible during the entire time. I have a no window central room with cinderblock walls I ferment in. It usually stays between 68-72 in there all the time, but I have recently decided to do a swamp cooler just the same to keep the temps from going up and down based on my air conditioning. I use a big square cooler with wheels, put my carboy in it, fill with water up to the beer line in my carboy and then keep 2 frozen water bottles in it at all times. I have extras in the freezer I switch out- 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Stays around 63 degrees. I would say unless you are brewing some special type of beer that specifically calls for it, you want to stay between 60-72 but preferably at a constant 65.

P.S.- remember 76 in room more than likely means you beer is fermenting at around 80 degrees.

Back