Brewing in the freezing cold - my lessons learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnycreature

Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It so happened that I hit a homebrew drought in the middle of this endless winter so I decided to brew. I wasn't idle in the downtime and managed to switch from using a drill to power my Monster Mill to using a garage door opener. After a few issues I managed to get a crush that I was happy with and brewed my first beer. [TL;DR -> jump to bullet points]

During my first brew after moving houses I had to scramble for a lot of things but all in all it went OK. By the time my mash was done it was freezing outside and when I took my gravity readings outside with the refractometer I was amazed that I overshot my OG for the first time ever! I thought it might be due to the improved crush of the grains so I was happy as a clam.

Fast forward one week, next brew day, still freezing. This time I had adjusted my grain bill to a higher efficiency based on the previous brew day. I also changed my SS braid for a manifold since the last drain took forever. When I checked my OG and put the numbers into BS it told me that I had 116% efficiency! I thought this must have been due to problems when I weighed my grains so I didn't put much thought into it.

Yesterday I finally had the eye-opening moment when brewing an imperial porter. It was, surprise surprise, freezing again (and snowing) and I overshot my OG once more. I had plenty of wort I set aside a good cup to take a hydrometer reading later on. After it had cooled down to roughly room temperature I took the sample inside and checked the gravity. 1.057 instead of 1.076 as suggested by the refractometer. I thought the hydrometer must have gotten damaged during its long hibernation so I took another refractometer sample. This time, the refractometer had been inside at RT and the reading dropped from 19.5 to 15.7B. :eek: (Yes, I did stir like it owes me money). I added DME to make up for the difference...
Next thing I noticed was that it took forever to get to a boil at 0 °C and below (plus wind and snow). I had drained way more wort than expected so my BK was near capacity and I had to watch it closely. It must have never reached a full rolling boil again after the hot break because after about 45 minutes into the boil not even half a gallon had evaporated. So I turned up the heat and had to boil for 120 instead of 75 minutes.

[TL;DR]
If nothing else here are a couple of things I learned from my freezing brew days:
  1. Do not trust your refractometer when it's freezing outside. Although it claims to have ATC it does not seem to work well at extreme ambient temperatures.
  2. Make sure you add enough heat to the boil kettle. Sounds obvious but I was really amazed by how much I had to turn up the heat in this weather. This also affects the boil-off rate so be prepared and have a second propane tank ready.

And here's the only good thing about brewing in the cold: Wort chilling takes almost no time!

:rockin::tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing double boils on my stove until it stops being -20 all the time. I did a couple around Christmas and realized I had no interest in doing that in the heart of winter. Here's to you, for being willing to do things in the name of beer that most people would weasel out of at the first opportunity.

Hmm, I too took a pre-boil gravity reading using my cold refractometer whille brewing in my Wisconsin-winter-cold garage, and was super impressed that my pre-boil gravity exceeded my estimated post-boil gravity.

Fast forward to pulling a sample just prior to pitching yeast, and my hydrometer shows my post-boil gravity exceeding my estimated post boil gravity, but by only 0.004. I think you might be on to something regarding ATC.

Next time I brew, I'm going to leave the hydrometer inside the house at room temperature.

We generally brew on all electric in my kitchen, and just keep the windows open, sometimes crack the door. Last brewday was like 2°F outside and we didn't crack anything until half way through the boil and the walls were sweating. Once we did, warm moist meets cold dry = cloud in the kitchen. Completely enveloping the room, and it actually felt like it was raining a little, well, more like misting, but still not something that's supposed to happen inside. Humorous for sure, but something we'll avoid in the future. Better ventilation is definitely an upcoming project.

Yeah brewing in this weather is no fun but...

101-09.jpg

EDIT: I never realized that the guy on the poster has 5 fingers instead of the 4 common for cartoons...

Back