Brewing in Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
I'm about to move to Oahu and wanted to know if it is easy to keep temps regulated in a fairly well insulated home. I know it depends on the house but just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance for your responses!

I lived in Hawaii for four years The Big Island great place. You might want to check out homebrew in paradise a local homebrew shop on Oahu they would be your best shot since they are local and know exactly what to do.
http://www.homebrewinparadise.com/
Check it out they are in Honolulu.

Only complication I can think of is that many houses in hawaii do not have AC, they rely on the trade winds to cool things off.

As others mentioned, the average temperature is much cooler than TX.

You may consider dedicating a smaller room to brewing and install a window unit.

lschiavo said:
My advice?...Screw you, you're moving to Hawaii, figure it out yourself:)

Sure I'm moving to Hawaii but I'm in the army and if I get to spend 2 of the 3 years I'll be stationed there at home, I'll consider myself a lucky man.

@Wayne- I'll be living at Schofield barracks and won't accept a house that doesn't have a/c.

Like you mentioned, many homes in Hawaii don't have air conditioning and rely on the trade winds. But still a bit warm to brew, the Kona winds in the fall are even warmer. You'll be just fine setting up a swamp cooler.

Thank you for serving!

I was doing fine with a swamp cooler until my wife got a Job and could no longer swap water bottles. You'll be in the center of the island which is usually cooler than the south shore and leeward side, but I wouldn't bank on keeping fermentation staying under 75 unless you can babysit a swamp cooler every three to four hours or have a ferm chamber. Aloha and enjoy your stay with the 25 ID.

While I got you guys here, are there any beers (or better yet yeasts) that do well in the 75* - 80* temperature range?

Just get a portable A/C. Plug it in and brew whatever you want.

Back