Brewing in a few hours, forgot acidulated malt. Have lactic , phosporic, and citric.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_M

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So just a minute ago I realized I forgot to pick up more acidulated malt from my lhbs yesterday and I'm trying to get brewing asap today. I have lactic, phosphoric, i thought I had citric but I don't. I have a glass pipette that measures in ml. This will be my second time playing with water chemistry and I've only ever used acidulated never liquids.

I'm going to be brewing 11 gallons of this
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-they-come-91488/ and figured I would just use the stickied water chemistry guidelines for a ipa. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/ I will be using store bought distilled water.

How much and which acid should I use? Do I treat it all at once in my hlt? Do I put in the mash tun directly? Please help!

Edited to add: my phosphoric is 10% my lactic is 88% I thought I had citric but I don't.

Check out the EZ Water Calculator (just google it). You can enter in your water profile, grist, salts, etc. and there's a cell for entering an amount of lactic acid. The calculator will give you an estimate on mash pH based on what you enter for these values. Plug in your info and then tweak the lactic acid amount until your pH is at a level that you like. Might not be a perfect solution, but it should work in a pinch.

Good luck with the brew.

Thanks, I'll look into that later tonight..... false alarm fellas I apologize I just realized I have leftover acidulated from last weekend's brew and its just barely enough. Thanks again for the quick response nathpowe!

Phosphoric acid has the least flavor impact, that's what I prefer. I use brunwater spreadsheet to calculate my additions. That has a little bit of a learning curve though, maybe EZ is easier for a one off adjustment.

[Edit] Nevermind, I see you found a solution. Sometimes I don't read good ;)

Back