Brewing Hard root beer, the really easy way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanity1676

Reaction score
Ive been searching into brwing hard root beer for a while, and believe i have found an incredibly easy method. I am going start to brew this when i rack my skeeter pee.
basically
this recipe uses 10 cups of sugar, and 2.5 cups of molasses used to make a simple sugar wash. Boil the sugar and molasses together in 4 cups of (tap or any other clean) water till everything is dissolved. then pour into a 5 gallon carboy, add 4.5 gallon of water 3 tablespoons yeast nutrient and pitch your rehydrated yeast (i hope to use lavelin LC-1118). I am going to allow this to ferment to when the bubbles just start to slow, rack to secondary. add 9 tbsp McCormick root beer extract, 2 tbsp vanilla extract, a cup of molasses and 2 pounds of honey, let steep for 3 or 4 days, backsweeten to taste, bottle 1 in plastic, and the rest in glass, when the plastic bottle is firm i will bottle pasteurize. my only concern will be clearing the root beer

I had some Small Town Brewery's Not Your Father's Root Beer recently. It had a quickly reducing head & the flavor of root beer that was pretty good. Not sure how they made it. I'm curious how your experiment works out?...

not too much, but the flavors may not properly mellow, idk how to clear it, and it may be too high alcohol, and wind up tasting too ''hot''

I had some Small Town Brewery's Not Your Father's Root Beer recently. It had a quickly reducing head & the flavor of root beer that was pretty good. Not sure how they made it. I'm curious how your experiment works out?...

That stuff is sooo good. I had the 19.5%. Dangerous stuff. :drunk:

Is pasteurizing carbonated glass bottles really safe? What kind of pressure develops while they are hot? Maybe if they are underwater and there's a lid on the canner it might not matter if one blows up...

Be very careful removing them from the canner. ==(8-0

Sounds like the recipe from this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hard-root-beer-recipe-416406/) And its very tasty.

ANOTHER thought about these two recipes and their differences: what is the comparative "sweetness" or maybe I need to ask about the Brix potential of a pound of DME and a pound of brown/white sugar? I ask because in a recipe such as this, where all we really want is an alcohol-bearing base to which we are going to add an overpowering flavoring agent (root beer extract) does it really make sense to pay $4/pound for DME, when I can get sugar way cheaper? I know I'd never do this to a "real" beer, but for this, or a hard ginger ale, or any other hard flavored soda, well... a penny saved is a penny spent on beer gear!

Ike

thats why im going to try it using cheap molasses and sugar. I want a cheap fun drink. DME is too expensive to waste on something like this. Also because of inverting the sugars i doubt there would be off flavors. idk though

Back