Brewing from dregs and hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

After a few months off, I'm back to brewing again, having just done an all-grain Old Rasputin Clone, and a Citra and Cascade hopped Pale, both of which I have high hopes for. So here is my situation: I was speaking with a home-brewer buddy of mine a while back and he suggested that after I do a big beer I try running a second mash on the spent grain and try to brew a second, lighter beer from that. I did so, with both the aforementioned brews, and came out with wort, after boiling, of about 1.035 - 1.040 each time. A bit lighter than I usually work with, but what the heck, it's essentially free beer. In the case of the Old Rasputin clone, I did add a few pounds of 2-Row to the mash. Both "second-run" beers were pitched by throwing some of the previously pitched, first-run beer into them. All have taken off into fermentation quite well.

So here's the question. On the Pale, after I cooled the wort for the first run beer and put it in the carboy, I still had about a gallon left in the boil vessel. Those "dregs" also included a few ounces of loose hops. I sparged thru the spent grain into the boiler, added a bit more hops, and let it boil for 45 min. Now, I have a pretty decent idea what my gravity was preboil, even factoring in the gallon of dregs I had left from the previous batch, but the value of the hops is another story. The hops that came with the dregs had already been boiled for up to an hour and I would guess they had had most of their oils dissolved in the wort which had already been drawn off for the first run batch. How much do they have left? In leaving those same hops in the pot and reusing them, am I getting anything meaningful out of them in terms of flavor, or are they pretty much just used up? To complicate the issue, that recipe called for three hop additions, at 60, 15, and flameout. Can I assume that at least the last addition still had some bittering to bring to the party? My goal is to have somewhat balanced flavors, and with not knowing what I'm getting out of the used hops, I feel like I'm guessing.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Labradork

I can't help you but I didn't realise that there was enough sugar left in the malt to get another 1.04 beer out of it. I don't do 3 vessel but I thought you guys sparged until the runnings were at about 1.01.

OP my best guess is the hops you left in the kettle and boiled in the second batch still had bittering qualities left. How many IBU's were added is a good question hopefully some has the knowledge of how to estimate it. How did the wort taste in the second beer? If it was not grassy from too much hop material you should be ok.

Be interesting to hear how that last gallon affected you second beer. Different approach that is a first for me to hear.

I can't help you but I didn't realise that there was enough sugar left in the malt to get another 1.04 beer out of it. I don't do 3 vessel but I thought you guys sparged until the runnings were at about 1.01.

It all depends on how you want to spend your time and money. Fully sparging the grain bed saves some money on malt but takes longer and might require more boil time. Mash with more malt and getting higher runnings may save time later (and leaves some sugars in the grain bed). No right or wrong way at the homebrew level just personal preference.

Back