Brewing Formulas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioGrown

Reaction score
I've just started getting in to all-grain and of course now I'm also trying to keep better records of what I'm doing. I've used some of the online calculators for crunching numbers and I know there's nifty software available, but Im having trouble just finding the flat-out formulas from calculating efficiencies to IBU's. Its confusing because I'll find one formula for something and then I'll come accross another source with a slightly different formula for the same thing. Thanks.

I've just started getting in to all-grain and of course now I'm also trying to keep better records of what I'm doing. I've used some of the online calculators for crunching numbers and I know there's nifty software available, but Im having trouble just finding the flat-out formulas from calculating efficiencies to IBU's. Its confusing because I'll find one formula for something and then I'll come accross another source with a slightly different formula for the same thing. Thanks.

All of them are a little bit different, but the results they pump out are close enough that you can use pretty much any of them.

Efficiency can be defined so many ways and really if you can define what you mean by efficiency, calculating it should be trivial.

IBU formulas are predicting the IBUs in the beer and no calculating as that can only be determined after the fact using laboratory methods. There are multiple methods of predicting it.

Anywho, there isn't really any way to answer your question without bringing up multiple other questions so the best course of action is probably to pick up "How to Brew" and "Designing Great Beers" and read them.

Back