Brewing for the Economy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Much Will you Spend?

• 10% - 25%

• 25% - 50%

• 50% - 75%

• I'm Building a Brew Haus...Forget it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Essentially none, but you could also see it as paying off credit card debt frees up money to spend in the future, and I did just spend a decent amount on an AG setup.

At first I thought this was another 'homebrewing is cheaper' thread and I was going to assume the fetal position in a corner.

I Picked building a Brew Haus but there was no 0% option. The Swmbo and I are putting both checks into our wedding account so we can pay it off hopefully sooner than laater.

Spending money on the burner, keggle conversion and parts for an immersion chiller with some misc. fittings and hose to complete my AG setup.

Our check will pretty much cover what we had to pay the IRS due to SWMBO's growing personal business. So I'm just happy to break even, and should have enough spare change to keep brewing every week or three.

Y'all know that the whole point of these checks is to go out and blow them.........the American way

Thats why I'm not sure that this stimulus will work correctly......most people seem to be using them to pay off debt or putting them into savings ......which will probably help the economy later down the road, but it is not going to give the economy the quick boost that it is meant to

Y'all know that the whole point of these checks is to go out and blow them.........the American way

Thats why I'm not sure that this stimulus will work correctly......most people seem to be using them to pay off debt or putting them into savings ......which will probably help the economy later down the road, but it is not going to give the economy the quick boost that it is meant to

Well, then maybe the gov't should not have taxed me so heavily in the first place....

Yeah, but even paying off debt is a good thing for the economy. If you have a ton of debt and $600 is just a drip in the bucket, then yeah, it isnt going to do much. But for someone like me who does not have much debt, just stuff from having to buy books for school and things like that, it makes a big difference. I mean, it is going to pay off something like 35% of my credit card debt and therefore I am going to get out of debt faster and therefore have more money in my bank account faster. That is the theory at least. It is not like I am going to go on a spending spree once I am out of debt. More likely the excess money will go into savings, but that is the theory.

I know that I'm supposed to spend it, but I could either blow it on a TV or something or I could acknowledge that while I'm hardly knee-deep in debt, there was a period of a few years where my wife and I used our credit cards a little too liberally. Before I sound too mature, let me also admit that I giggle every time I hear 'stimulus.'

There is a possibility that we'll be doing a lot of work in our back yard, so the money could theoretically go towards that...

i've spent $1500 on brewing since March 15th. I built a fermentation chiller, keggle, 22 gallon stockpot, etc. plus ingredients and regular supplies for brewing.

so my check is kinda going towards that, but really i'm going to make a big payment to my credit card.

Yeah, but even paying off debt is a good thing for the economy. If you have a ton of debt and $600 is just a drip in the bucket, then yeah, it isnt going to do much. But for someone like me who does not have much debt, just stuff from having to buy books for school and things like that, it makes a big difference. I mean, it is going to pay off something like 35% of my credit card debt and therefore I am going to get out of debt faster and therefore have more money in my bank account faster. That is the theory at least. It is not like I am going to go on a spending spree once I am out of debt. More likely the excess money will go into savings, but that is the theory.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong .......it will be good also to pay off debt with it (in the long run) but its meant to jump start the economy ...........as far as debt goes...Americans in general are living beyond our means thanks to all this credit and now its coming back to bite us in the butts

Anyone else listen/watch Dave Ramsey??

Actually, none. They're going towards our vacation in a few weeks and other things around the house. No brewing toys for me.

At least $100 for barley crusher so I can buy bulk grain at reduce cost (boosting economy since that allows me to susidize the high cost of hops )

Going to buy rhizomes, but may be too late, so I will purchase from neighbor who does not brew as much (keeping $ in US)

kegging is now an option (and will not miss bottles) .. new refrig

Think I will not go with conical, but simply get more pails, and a keggle for 10 gal batches...

President Bush has spurred my microbrewing economy

First batch will be named Bush's Brown

That check will go right towards paying off the credit card bill I have hanging around.
I hate having that short term high rate loan and would not have been in this position except my employer decided to make a "big" announcement the day before I planned to sell my shares I purchased through a stock purchase plan. Ofcourse that big announcement drove the stock prices down 30+% meaning I would have to pay the higher income tax rate on money I had lost. Suddenly the 9% interest rate on my credit card looked good. Especially because I fully expect the stock to recover most of its value or more in the next couple years.

Sorry for the rant. But I hate credit card debt and it bugs me I have some currently.

I know I really only have myself to blame for it but it still bugs me.

Craig

Stimulus check is going into our savings, just like our refund check (which was a good chunk of change), but part of my next paycheck will go towards a Sanyo 4912 (I have everything else to convert it to a kegerator).

I'm building a Brew House. There is a shed outside my house that me and my brother are fixing it up. We got the floor redone, ran electric put on a new door and window and hung lights. All we have left is pipes for the water and we'll be good to go. I also ordered a brew-magic system which i am so pumped for. I don't think i can wait the time to build and ship.:ban:

Half has already been spent on kegging eqipment, including the fridge, a tower, and two spankin' nice handles. Olther half goes into savings.

SWMBO and I need a new fridge in the kitchen since the ice maker has been leaking all over the floor for the past couple of weeks. The stimulus check will be going toward the new fridge and the old one will go to the garage for beer duty, so in a round-about way, probably all of it will go to brewing...

Spent almost all of it on equipment to go all grain. 10 gallon cooler, stainless false bottom, 3 piece stainless bulkhead w/ ball valve. 40 & 30 qt brew pots, new stir paddle, assorted tubing and fittings, and the crowning achievement a brand spankin new Barley Crusher with a drill to go with. Thank you so very much IRS.

Back