Brewing for color.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaramieKing

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American wheat for a local beer event that has alot of non craft beer people in attendance. I'm thinking about getting this beer as pink in color as I can with fruit(rasberrys?)
Anyone have experience with doing something like this?

I'm brewing an American wheat for a local beer event that has alot of non craft beer people in attendance. I'm thinking about getting this beer as pink in color as I can with fruit(rasberrys?)
Anyone have experience with doing something like this?

Yes, the Belgians have considerable experience in the preparation of Krieks and Framboises both of which are rather pink. They use, respectively, cherries and raspberries. If you don't want the fruit flavors you can use food colorings. As beer absorbs light at the blue end of the spectrum (which is why the blue beer is difficult - though it can be done if all coloring is removed as in Zima) one has considerable flexibility at the green-red end of the spectrum. Get the McKormicks dyes at the supermarket and fiddle around some.

Bamforth's newest book (Brewing Materials and Processes - A Practical Approach to Beer Excellence) has a chapter on color which has a small amount of information on how to move about in L*a*b* space by blending and the use if dyes. You would have to be really, really interested in this to justify the cost of the book given the amount in it on that subject.

Following KeyWest's advice to hibiscus dry hop your finished beer with an ounce, 5.5G batch (or less than one oz depending on desired color intensity) will give you an amazing color finish. Dried hibiscus flower petals in a muslin bag will give you great reddish/pinkish color in 12-24 hours. Pull the bag from your keg or secondary and discard as this colors your beer quickly.

LarMoeCur that's close to what I'm looking for... I don't want do anything synthetic. This isn't the normal way I go about a recipie lol.

Latest posts

Back