Brewing follies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elshauno

Reaction score
Well I guess I didn't do enough research three batches in finally remembered to pick up some campden tablets. Whoops Granted the first two batches I got some burning on the bottom of the pot so they were going to have some off flavors anyways. I now realize it was the Chlorine in the water that made the off flavors. I still and going to put boiling water in my primary bucket to make it through one more batch until I go to a carboy. Though the guy at my homebrew store said they only help some I still need a carbon filter. This time I will be getting spring water. I want it to turn out well. I also will be using some White labs Belgian yeast this time instead of the Nottinghams that comes with the witbier kit. I will be also be putting boiling water in my primary bucket to make sure its nice and clean. Hopefully all goes well on this batch. My next batch will be done with an experienced brewer and be ALL GRAIN. Woo hoo

+1 on the liquid yeast.

Instead of boiling water, you might try using a sanitizer for your bucket (and all your equipment that will touch your beer post-boil). Check out the sanitizing section of this website. Good luck!

Jim

I'm a NOOB too!!!!! I am relatively new to the "modern" science of brewing. I brewed a bunch of stuff in the early 80s and recently returned. The only advice I would give you is to clean and sanitize before you brew and then clean and sanitize after you brew. This means that the stuff gets cleaned/sanitized twice. I know that I am wasting money by oxycleaning eveything and then rinsing the hell out of it followed by IODOPHOR when I'm done with a batch or moved from primary to secondary, but I'm hoping that it is all clean when I use it.

Thats brewers best for you I ended up adding 1 pound of orange blossom honey 45 minutes into the boil. and the white labs yeast is churning as I type.Though it will probably be tapering off a bit before too long. I have been careful about sanitation I just boiled some water then dumped it into the primary let it cool a little then dropped 5 or 6 sanitizer pellets in just to be sure. I usually bake my plate chiller at 300 for 30 minutes just to be sure theres nothing bad in there.

Back