Brewing first batch-have a few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now and Iam finally going to brew my first batch of beer!

Still have a few questions though.

I understand that you should steep grains at 150-155, but the directions I have say to get to 155 and shut the heat off, is that correct? I feel it should be constant.

I have a very simple kit that consists of
-briess dme
-crystal 60 malt
-northern brewer hops
-dried brewers yeast

What kind of beer will this produce and is there any spices I can add to the boil?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I understand that you should steep grains at 150-155, but the directions I have say to get to 155 and shut the heat off, is that correct? I feel it should be constant.

What kind of equipment are you brewing with? Most brew pots will hold that approximate temp for the necessary time if you put the lid on. So yes, shutting the heat off is fine. Then you will not get too high a temp and "burn" your steeping grains.

Turning the heat off is correct. Monitor the temp as time passes, but you will be surprised by how well the whole concoction holds it's temperature.

With the element off, the heat will be retained for quite some time. Not to worry.

I would suggest you brew the kit as-is so you can learn the process. Primary for 3-4 weeks at about 60 or so degrees, then bottle condition at 70 for another few weeks, then refrigerate them a couple at a time for 2 full days then give them a try.

Once you see how the process works, then start modifying recipes.

B

I have a very simple kit that consists of
-briess dme
-crystal 60 malt
-northern brewer hops
-dried brewers yeast

What kind of beer will this produce and is there any spices I can add to the boil?

You really need to provide the weight of your ingredients if you would like more insight.

No, I would not add any spices on your first brew. Try to figure out what the ingredients you are using taste like before altering a recipe.

Regardless, you are going to make beer and (most likely :eek:) it will be good.

Enjoy! :mug:

it looks like an pale or amber ale (depending on the type of DME, pale, amber, dark, etc.). you're fine turning the heat off, as long as you're around 150 or so for the steep, it's good. as far as spices go, i'd skip that for the first brew, personally. get the process of boiling and fermenting down and taste what that recipe gives you. then decide if you'd like to brew it again and if you'd like any spice notes added to it. a simple thing you could do to add some flare to a brew like that is dry hopping. you'd do that by adding some hops to the fermenter after it's done fermenting, leave the hops for several days to a week before bottling. dry hops will add a nice, fresh hops aroma to your beer.

What you are doing is called a Mash Extract brew utilizing a one step infusion mash. That's what I have been doing with my mash extracts. Works great. Just follow the instructions and get ready for some great beer. I don't think that brew would need any type of spices. Especially since its your first brew. If anything go an get another variety of hop. Maybe a Mt Hood would go good with the NB hops.

What type of yeast are you using? If you are pitching with ale yeast I think you are heading down the pale ale road. More detail on your recipe would clarify that. You could try to switch up yeasts too. That makes a huge difference. Try Nottingham Ale Yeast.

And don't boil w/ the lid on. For one, you'll have easier boil overs. For another thing, you'll block the boiling-off DMS from escaping the kettle and it will end up back in your kettle.

Back