Brewing Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
The last couple batches of beer I have made have been off by 15 - 20 points of gravity from the recipe. I know the first of these was because I miscalculated swapping a 10 gallon recipe for a 5 gallon batch. However, that was not the case on the last one, although I did measure out the grain bill to the exact amount (instead of adding a little to compensate like I have done in the past).

Thus, a couple questions:

1. How would you adjust the grain bill used vs. a recipe to compensate? I've always winged it a little bit here, but I would like a more procedural-based method if possible.

2. I fly sparge (FWIW), and I think I do everything correctly. Is there a list of things to check for efficiency?

This last beer did okay being slightly watery, but I really want to get this nailed down. TIA!!!

Look into brewing software. I like beersmith but there are free alternatives to get you going. Brewtoad.com is one i know of but am unsure of any others. Google free brewing software. The software will allow you to enter actual data and after a few brews you get the software fine tuned.

Be sure you are measuring your water accurately and cooling your wort sample to hydrometers recommendation. Usually 68 degrees i think?

When I marked my buckets I used water by weight to determine the markings...

Are you milling your own grain. Getting grains that are already crushed for you leads to some disappointing brew days when someone changes the setting on the mill.

Back