Brewing control software for Raspberry Pi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stainlessbrewer

Reaction score
Is there any brewing control software (mash temp and boil control) out there for Raspberry Pi? I've seen a few posts and blog articles about Mashberry but they all seem to be over a year old. Seems like there was a little work being done in the area in 2013 but just died off like a lot of open source stuff. I have the BrewTroller and like it but with OSCSYS closing I'm not sure if anyone will advance the firmware and the BCS has basically no forward movement in features and abilities in years (new firmware didn't really add any new abilities like volume measurement).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use (and write) StrangeBrew Elsinore: https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server

I don't think it'll go away any time soon since I use it to make beer. It supports temperature reading, PID control, hysteria control, timers, pumps, graphs of temperatures, automated mash control, volume measurement (using the same setup as BrewTroller), and I'm working on more features (like pH measurement) at the moment.

Feel free to browse the main Elsinore thread; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/new-strangebrew-elsinore-thread-475456/

I use (and write) StrangeBrew Elsinore: https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server

I don't think it'll go away any time soon since I use it to make beer. It supports temperature reading, PID control, hysteria control, timers, pumps, graphs of temperatures, automated mash control, volume measurement (using the same setup as BrewTroller), and I'm working on more features (like pH measurement) at the moment.

Feel free to browse the main Elsinore thread; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/new-strangebrew-elsinore-thread-475456/

I started to read a little about it but kinda got lost in it all as I know zip about programming but I like the interface and look and feel. The fact it shares the same temp probes and volume sensors is a big plus since I have them already. Would it work with its own LCD display/touchscreen connected to the Pi? Looking to have an all-in-one controller without the need for a smart phone/tablet. Will it work on Raspberry Pi b+ or Banana Pi? Best OS to use?

Might be time to order a Pi and start playing and at least there is a source for a little help.

I started to read a little about it but kinda got lost in it all as I know zip about programming but I like the interface and look and feel. The fact it shares the same temp probes and volume sensors is a big plus since I have them already. Would it work with its own LCD display/touchscreen connected to the Pi? Looking to have an all-in-one controller without the need for a smart phone/tablet. Will it work on Raspberry Pi b+ or Banana Pi? Best OS to use?

Might be time to order a Pi and start playing and at least there is a source for a little help.

The fact it shares the same temp probes and volume sensors is a big plus since I have them already.

Same volume sensors yes, though with the raspberry Pi you'll need an analogue input board, something like a DS2450 works the best.

But I don't think that existing systems use one wire temperature probes, since I don't have RTD probes (or any other temperature probe type), Elsinore doesn't support them.

Would it work with its own LCD display/touchscreen connected to the Pi?

Yes, as long as it has a standards compliant browser. The RaspberryPi foundation released a browser which is much better than the default browsers recently.

Will it work on Raspberry Pi b+ or Banana Pi?
No idea on the Banana Pi, I've not seen any reason why not. But it'll work on any system that has GPIO (hell, it could be a desktop machine).

Best OS to use?
Whichever one you are most comfortable with. The instructions I've given are for Debian/Ubuntu since I'm most comfortable with them.

Definitely looking to experiment with going this route because of the compatibility with existing BrewTroller temp sensors and volume measurement.

Definitely looking to experiment with going this route because of the compatibility with existing BrewTroller temp sensors and volume measurement.

Great! But remember, analogue inputs will need a convertor, like a DS2450 (for anything without analogue inputs), or a voltage divider (for the BBB, or anything with analogue inputs that are 1.8V or below)

Check out Craftbeerpi, I'm not done setting it up, but it's been pretty easy so far

Craftbeerpi has the best support/community I feel... i'm a little biased but from installing the other ones and installing CBPi I really like it.

Back