Brewing Class

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for almost ten years now. I know what I'm doing and the steps I take on my brew days. But now the local community college has asked if I would teach a course in brewing.
I'm searching for a basic outline that I can use/modify to teach this class. The Con Ed. dean and I agree that we want this to be an informative but fun class. The class will be four wks long. One evening for two hours max for each class.
Here is what I have so far:

1st Class - Actually brew a beer. I would actually have brewpot close to boil at beginning of class. This would be all hands on.
2nd Class - Go over the basics. Some history of beer. How hops, grain & yeast can change the taste....need a little help on this week.
3rd Class - Bottle the brew from first class. Hands on again
4th Class - Hopefully sample what was brewed/bottled. Also going to get class to bring in a bottle from store to sample.Going to try and work with chef from culinary class to do a beer/food pairing.

Each class is scheduled for 2hrs, but I wouldn't hold to this time if we finish early. I checked with the dean about sampling and that won't be a problem since they have an ABC permit.

So, any and all advice is appreciated...class starts last week of March!!

Maybe take some time to present an overview of many of the best resources available to them (books, websites, forums, magazines, youtube, brewing tv, etc. etc.) Ultimately, folks will only remember so much from seeing each thing once - but knowing where to go once they start brewing on their own would be of great use to them when they have questions pop up. Having an index of some sort with titles, web addresses etc would be a big help.

Maybe have some samples of your own that you brewed earlier - as it might be hard to really have a totally finished product after 4 weeks - that way they can taste what the beer would be like after 8 weeks for instance - "patience."

Common mistakes list. Maybe FAQ list.

Yeah the time schedule does make it tough for you.
I think you got the right idea though with only four weeks you need to brew on day one.

Just a thought for educating them on some of the differences, you could brew one big batch, split it in half and do something different with the hops in each half, then split those in half and use different yeast on each batch.
That would be the most variety you could introduce to it and that time that I could think of.
I do like the basic idea you've got though. you could talk about lagering verses ail.
Various types of grain and yeast, some history, and stress the importance of sanitation and temperature control.

Keep it fun and interesting so that you end up creating new brewers.

First, I would probably write out a lesson plan for each class (that's the Science teacher in me though). At least write up a detailed outline of what you want to cover, what order you wish to cover it in, the materials you need and what you want all of your brewing students to learn and accomplish by the end of the class period. This will help you organize what you need and keep you on task during class if you get too side tracked.

1st Class - Actually brew a beer. I would actually have brewpot close to boil at beginning of class. This would be all hands on.

That's not a problem. I'd suggest going with a partial mash or all extract brew session. This would be the time that i'd go over the basics with your class from discussing sanitation, equipment, grain bill, hops schedule, water, yeast, the basic processes of brewing, hot break/cold break, chilling the wort, Checking OG, adding the yeast, fermenting, krausening, etc.. Let's face it, you're going to have time to kill during the boil.

Pick a basic accessible beer style that most of your students will like and can share without too many turned up noses from friends and relatives, such as an American ale or a simple pilsner.

2nd Class - Go over the basics. Some history of beer. How hops, grain & yeast can change the taste, etc.

That sounds fine. Google beer history and give them a short recitation on the origins of multicultural brewing techniques. This can lead into discussing the differences in grain choices and adjuncts (hops were actually a later addition to the brewing world) and the eventual development of regional styles. It might be fun to have a taste testing of different beer styles at this point and you can then talk intelligently with them about how the ingredients impact the beer. Also, have them check their beers for activity/krausen rings and have them check out the yeast cake.

3rd Class - Bottle the brew from first class. Hands on again

Talk about the importance of sanitation, the different sanitizers they can use and how to use them correctly, differences in bottle types, sizes and styles, kegging vs. bottling, natural carbonation vs. forced CO2 carbonation, bottle conditioning, priming tips and the importance of patience. Throw in some fun stories about bottle bombs. Don't forget to let them take an FG reading and have them calculate their ABV by hand. :)

4th Class - Hopefully sample what was brewed/bottled. Also going to get class to bring in a bottle from store to sample.Going to try and work with chef from culinary class to do a beer/food pairing.

This is where you can talk about beer labels, books and other resources for finding new recipes (bring some of yours in and pass them around), open Q&A for anything you haven't already covered and a big old plug for signing up for your new ADVANCED brewing class (all grain, your equipment). I would skip the culinary class and have them do a potluck pairing their favorite style of beer from the previous tasting with a dish they think might go well with it. That way, they'll have a nice foundation when they start drinking.

A thought related to the fun stories about bottle bombs... What about deliberately over-carbing a bottle by adding a sugar tab then putting it under a 24/7 webcam? Just to show what happens?

Ok a little more thought on the process then.
Week one will be a little bit of a challenge. Two hours is probably plenty of time but you also have to remember that this is going to be everybody's first day there, there's going to be introductions and at least a brief discussion about the class and the goals.
You can eat up half hour pretty easy.

Week two sounds like you have a good basic idea what you want to do.
You can also throw in a little information about how grain is malted and why. You could maybe talk a little bit about mashing and how extract is made. Having a variety of specialty grains there for the students to smell and taste might be interesting for them also. It could fit in good with your discussion about what type of grain adds to a beer.

Week three is going to have a lot of extra time available. I think this would be a good time to really talk about sanitation versus cleaning.

I would probably include a list of good books for them to read if they decide to get into brewing, and maybe a couple dozen recipes that they could look at for different kinds of beer in both extract and all grain. They would be able to see the different types of grains used to get different flavors and alcohol content.

Thanks for the syllabus! I'm totally skipping week three and just going to the bar :rockin:

Seriously though, this seems good although I think week three could use a little something else. Whatever you do you should diversify your classroom time. Please don't just talk at them for two hours. Or even for 20 minutes. Try and involve the students as much as possible. Make it personal. Have them pick a beer style and do a mini research project on it. If you feel like making them work for it have them present their mini-project in a three minute presentation. That take work of your back and then that student really knows that beer. How hops, grain and yeast impact a beer has the potential to get dull and you could get into information overload zone. If they pick a beer they like, research ingredients and determine what influences that beer that could be more engaging.

My $.02... Brew something light so that it will be finished in 1 month, and also because (probably) most people will want something more like BMC.

nashvillerider said:
Still looking for ideas, outlines, tips on my upcoming brewing class.

HELP Please!!

Week 3 you might want to think about a commercial beer tasting where you also provide the clone recipes from the site. Get a diversity of beers with different malts, hops, yeasts that have strong flavor characteristics so they can taste individual components.

I'd keg rather than bottle on week 3. It takes less time, you can be sure it's carbonated on time, and then you can bottle from the keg in week 4 so they've got something to take home. I also recommend adding gelatin so you can get it to clear in time.

Curious what the alcohol policy is for the community college campus. That could play a big part in deciding what to teach at your classes. I know that the community college I attended last year was very anti-drinking and anti-smoking on campus. It was too the point that they wanted me to sit through a 45 minute online presentation about the dangers of alcohol/college drinking.

People taking classes want to know where to buy equipment and fresh supplies. Brew Smith software would be great to introduce. This forum would be great. Do not lecture. Hands on examples and small work groups will work well. People learn by doing and are interested only when it fits there ability level. Have fun.

Curious what the alcohol policy is for the community college campus. That could play a big part in deciding what to teach at your classes. I know that the community college I attended last year was very anti-drinking and anti-smoking on campus. It was too the point that they wanted me to sit through a 45 minute online presentation about the dangers of alcohol/college drinking.

That's not going to be a problem. They have an ABC permit which allows the pouring of any/all alcohol. They have it because they reserve rooms for private parties/meetings.
However, we did agree on anyone signing up for the class to purchase school insurance since this being a "hands on" class they would be in close contact with boiling water and glass when bottling.

Guys, I have gotten a lot of new ideas just from the last couple of days reading your responses. I want to tell you that I greatly appreciate all your advice.

Please keep the ideas coming. I've got almost three months before the class starts.

Here are a couple of the things I believe I will incorporate into the class:

1. Divide the brew into two different ferementers. Each could have a different yeast or hop.
2. Keg brews instead of bottle for faster carbonation. Can then bottle some on week 4.

I know my first brew will be an extract due to only having 2 hours in the kitchen to complete. Was also comtemplating a 30 minute boil kit.

First, I would probably write out a lesson plan for each class (that's the Science teacher in me though). At least write up a detailed outline of what you want to cover, what order you wish to cover it in, the materials you need and what you want all of your brewing students to learn and accomplish by the end of the class period. This will help you organize what you need and keep you on task during class if you get too side tracked.

That's not a problem. I'd suggest going with a partial mash or all extract brew session. This would be the time that i'd go over the basics with your class from discussing sanitation, equipment, grain bill, hops schedule, water, yeast, the basic processes of brewing, hot break/cold break, chilling the wort, Checking OG, adding the yeast, fermenting, krausening, etc.. Let's face it, you're going to have time to kill during the boil.

Pick a basic accessible beer style that most of your students will like and can share without too many turned up noses from friends and relatives, such as an American ale or a simple pilsner.

That sounds fine. Google beer history and give them a short recitation on the origins of multicultural brewing techniques. This can lead into discussing the differences in grain choices and adjuncts (hops were actually a later addition to the brewing world) and the eventual development of regional styles. It might be fun to have a taste testing of different beer styles at this point and you can then talk intelligently with them about how the ingredients impact the beer. Also, have them check their beers for activity/krausen rings and have them check out the yeast cake.

Talk about the importance of sanitation, the different sanitizers they can use and how to use them correctly, differences in bottle types, sizes and styles, kegging vs. bottling, natural carbonation vs. forced CO2 carbonation, bottle conditioning, priming tips and the importance of patience. Throw in some fun stories about bottle bombs. Don't forget to let them take an FG reading and have them calculate their ABV by hand. :)

This is where you can talk about beer labels, books and other resources for finding new recipes (bring some of yours in and pass them around), open Q&A for anything you haven't already covered and a big old plug for signing up for your new ADVANCED brewing class (all grain, your equipment). I would skip the culinary class and have them do a potluck pairing their favorite style of beer from the previous tasting with a dish they think might go well with it. That way, they'll have a nice foundation when they start drinking.

THANKS aiptasia!

I think this is a cool opportunity for you! Personally, and I know that I benefited from this early on, is a basic outline about the science behind the process and briefly explaining how beer is made. In other words, understanding the grain, sugars, yeast, fermenting process, etc. IMO, people get a better handle on why they do things if they understand what is achieved by doing it or how it actually works.

This doesn't have to be an entire class about the chemistry behind it in detail, just the outline about what happens through the process. Good luck, sounds fun!

For the extract brew, I recommend a Rye Pale Ale using this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-rye-malt-syrup.html

At 20% rye and 10% C40L, it's basically perfect for a Rye Pale Ale. That way you get a beer that is similar in style to something most of them will be familiar with, but with the advantage of a unique ingredient that they might not have normally used. Hop it with traditional APA hops (I like Cascade for the aroma/dry hop on this), ferment with S-05, and you'll have it nice and easy.

BTW, you do get major bonus points for convincing one of them to taste a hop pellet!

I sure wish they would have been classes like this when I went to college.

I didn't exactly have a lot of extra time for finances for classes that I didn't need, but still I probably would have found a way for a class like this.

It would be cool if the college followed up with a second class that had time for all grain brewing.
I suppose it depends on the turnout they get for this.

Ferment at different temperatures (one at 70-72 ambient and one at 62 controlled), and let them taste the difference in the beer. I wish someone had taught me that lesson when I first started brewing.

Ferment at different temperatures (one at 70-72 ambient and one at 62 controlled), and let them taste the difference in the beer. I wish someone had taught me that lesson when I first started brewing.

That and two different kinds of yeast would give you the most that you could show them with one batch wort.
If you could do a 10 gallon boil you could split it into for roughly 2 1/2 gallon fermenters and show how temperature and yeast make so much difference in the flavor.

I sure wish they would have been classes like this when I went to college.

I didn't exactly have a lot of extra time for finances for classes that I didn't need, but still I probably would have found a way for a class like this.

It would be cool if the college followed up with a second class that had time for all grain brewing.
I suppose it depends on the turnout they get for this.

They have anticipated that there will be a big turnout for this class. I am going to limit the size of the class to about 12, but agreed to do a second class if there is a large turnout. My hope is that once the classes are done I may be invited to do an all grain advanced class.. Will let you know how that turns out.

Was in touch with one of the LHBS and they are willing to provide ALL brand new equipment to use during the first class, plus have a full setup for display if anyone wants to purchase it. PLUS, offer a discount on a startup brewing system for anyone who attends the class.

Spoke with the A-B distributor in our area and they are willing to donate give-aways to all that attend the class. Plus they will donate sample beers (Goose Island, Shock Top) for the class to taste.

Looks like this is going to be one fantastic class!!

That's great!
Getting new people into brewing is a win all the way around.
First, it's profitable to sell the stuff so more places to shop.
Second, if the volume of equipment sales goes up due to more brewers, that usually makes the prices go down.

Most important, the more we are, the better we do with any legislation pertaining to our hobby. We actually begin to count to the legislators if we are a big enough voting block.

Back