Brewing Cider, Need Another Yeast Packet, Should I Mix Strands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
i want brew this cider: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/apple-bee-woodchuck-clone-90276/

I picked up all of the ingredients, but was a total moron and only picked up one package of notty and happened to grab another packet of S04 as well. I need another packet of notty as I am doubling the batch size. The lhbs is about 35 minutes away and I cant make it out there before Monday.

Should I wait to pick one up or should I just pitch the notty and the s04 and let it run :drunk:

Whatcha think?

i am doubling the recipe and this is his OG and FG og

was 1.044 and a fg of 1.006. i am expecting this batch to finish a little higher because of the torrified wheat addition.

that means mine should be a 1.088 correct??

well, crap.. now I am doubting myself.... does this double the OG or does it stay 1.044???

lol i am confusing myself now haha

well my doubting was a good thing. The cider / beer ended up at 1.052 when i pitched the yeast.

1 packet of notty was pitched.

I was really having a hard time wondering if the OG would double because i was doubling the recipe.. then i thought.. well i am doubling the water too so how could it be more. Apparently my doubting thoughts were valid.

Yeah, apple juice has the same gravity whether you're using 5 gallons or 500 gallons.

Now, if you doubled the malt extract of a 5gal recipe without changing the volume, then you would double the gravity. Good call to just measure when in doubt, though.

Back