Brewing Cider, Need Another Yeast Packet, Should I Mix Strands?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jewrican

Reaction score
i want brew this cider: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/apple-bee-woodchuck-clone-90276/

I picked up all of the ingredients, but was a total moron and only picked up one package of notty and happened to grab another packet of S04 as well. I need another packet of notty as I am doubling the batch size. The lhbs is about 35 minutes away and I cant make it out there before Monday.

Should I wait to pick one up or should I just pitch the notty and the s04 and let it run :drunk:

Whatcha think?

OP
Jewrican

Jewrican

Reaction score
i am doubling the recipe and this is his OG and FG og

was 1.044 and a fg of 1.006. i am expecting this batch to finish a little higher because of the torrified wheat addition.

that means mine should be a 1.088 correct??

OP
Jewrican

Jewrican

Reaction score
well, crap.. now I am doubting myself.... does this double the OG or does it stay 1.044???

lol i am confusing myself now haha

OP
Jewrican

Jewrican

Reaction score
well my doubting was a good thing. The cider / beer ended up at 1.052 when i pitched the yeast.

1 packet of notty was pitched.

I was really having a hard time wondering if the OG would double because i was doubling the recipe.. then i thought.. well i am doubling the water too so how could it be more. Apparently my doubting thoughts were valid.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, apple juice has the same gravity whether you're using 5 gallons or 500 gallons.

Now, if you doubled the malt extract of a 5gal recipe without changing the volume, then you would double the gravity. Good call to just measure when in doubt, though.