Brewing books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave73

Reaction score
What are some books the beginning brewer should have? I have how to brew,radical brewing,and brewing classic styles on the way. Any others i should be reading?

I would recommend Homebrewing for Dummies. It's seriously a great book and I don't often see it mentioned (probably because of the name?). The paper is high quality which is great, especially because everything gets wet when brewing :p It also stays open when you open it up to a recipe or step. Those are two things I dislike about The Complete Joy of Homebrewing...the pages look like newspaper and the book is too small to stay open unless you set something on it. I like this book because it's very easy to read and it covers a lot of material and has some very nice charts, diagrams, etc. There is some cheesy humor in it as well but the book is about making beer so a person should have at least some sense of humor.

Another one I like is Extreme Brewing. The book construction is very good...large hardcover book with slick pages with color photographs. It has some really nice extract recipes and each recipe walks you through it step by step, so your first brew can be any one in the book. The recipes alone are worth having the book. I saw you had the radical brewing book so you might not need this one, but I like it a lot.

(note: I just checked amazon and they do have a paperback version, but I can't say how good that one is. The hardcover was only around $24 at the local book store.)

I wish I knew How to Brew was available for free online before I ordered it. I haven't heard of Radical Brewing but Extreme Brewing by the DFH founder is supposed to be great. My next read is Brewing Classic Styles.

I wish I knew How to Brew was available for free online before I ordered it. I haven't heard of Radical Brewing but Extreme Brewing by the DFH founder is supposed to be great. My next read is Brewing Classic Styles.

The online version of How to Brew isn't the current edition, and you helped support John Palmer who already gives a ton back to the homebrewing community for free!

If you have any interest in Belgian beers, Stan Hieronymous' book Brew Like a Monk is a must-have.

I read through Designing Great Beers first. It was a tough read since I didn't understand a lot of it. But then as I began to brew more I started to make connections with the book and was able to refer back to it for valuable information. Since then I read it again and it makes complete sense. I'm kind of glad I read it twice. I'd recommend the book for both the experienced and unexperienced brewer.

I do find some of the information to be outdated (mostly the yeast chapter), or contradictory of what is told here on HBT. Overall I think HBT is the most valuable homebrew read...I've spent day's at work reading these forums and learning incredible amounts of information.

Back