Brewing Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
I got a recipe and ingredients from an online HBS for a bock and made it as I normally do. The recipe they gave me had me fermenting as I normally do.

Now when I read Homebrew books they list Bock as the type of beer that you should Lager.

I already bottled, so its a bit too late... but any thoughts on this?
THey've been in a bottle for a week.. should I move them to lager temp?
Thanks!

yes do move them o lager temps it is a bit late though. no worrys though i did the same with my first brew which was a bock. it'll still taste fine but with some stronger flavors to it than normal. but yes bocks should be lagered. i learned the hard way just like you haha :drunk:

what temp did you ferment at and what yeast did you use?

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about lagering after fermentation is complete? my question still stands.

I can't remember which specific yeast it was, but it was Def a Lager yeast. This was one of my first beers... so I didn't catch the Lager yeast and realize what I needed to do.

What is weird is the recipe says I COULD put it in a cool place to enhance lagering, but didn't say it explicitly and said that I could do a 70 degree ferment.

SO what I have is a beer that used lager yeast and fermented at 70 degrees for about 10 days in a primary and 14 days in a secondary, and is now bottled and sitting in my 70 degree basement. When i sampled it at bottling it was VERY acohol flavor laden.
Not sure what to do with these bottles.

hmm...it'll probably be overly spicy and fruity...may be likeable to a california common. if it's drinkable then i say just let them condition and try them out. nothing like learning from your mistakes by drinking and figuring out exactly what the affect was. if it's decent, then fine. if it's terrible...you'll definitely know what not to do next time.
:mug:

what temp did you ferment at and what yeast did you use?

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about lagering after fermentation is complete? my question still stands.

wasn't meaning to say lager it since this stage is way past but to get the bottles in a cooler lacation to condition and carbonate. did this when i made the same mistake with my very first brew back in feb. and it helped out a bit. the beer will taste a bit harsh but is drinkable. definitely drink a couple so you can get the taste of the different alcohols that produce when fermenting at higher temps than suggested. and you'll get the important role temperature plays in brewing beer.

I'll throw it in the fridge for now... or at least in the cool garage, and see what happens.
Thanks to all.

Just for the hell of it, I pulled one out of the fridge. They've only been in the bottle a week and with the Yeast mishap recall they tasted like rubbing alcohol.

I popped the top. Obviously it's barely carbonated.... but I wanted to taste.

It's a bit hot but DEFINATELY drinkable. I think I'll let it mellow in the beer fridge for a month or so and this should be an acceptable brew.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone.

Back