Brewing and the Rostovian Take-off Model

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird77

Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with Rostow's Model, I am writing a paper which argues that beer brewing has followed this model. The 5 stages of the model (explained further courtesy of Wikipedia) outline how societies transition from traditional societies which believe the Gods play a role in the manufacturing of goods, all the way up to mass scale production, specialization and mass consumption. Sound familiar?

Anyway, I am looking for some concise and comprehensive material which follows the history of brewing. I figured there might be a few people here who could lead me to the best sources first. This is for a 4-5 page extra credit assignment and finals are looming, so I cannot afford a lot of time for research.

Thanks for the help! Web links as well as printed material are helpful, as I can source nearly any book through the University library.

This is the link to the wiki on Rostow's model, as anyone who has not studied economics probably has not heard of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostovian_take-off_model

"A History of World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage. This book traces modern civilization and beverages of the time. Starts with beer. Hope it helps.

"A History of World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage. This book traces modern civilization and beverages of the time. Starts with beer. Hope it helps.

Thanks! Obviously the wiki is a good start, but for a research paper it is a bit trivial. The title of the book I am looking for would be something like "How Brewing has Progressed As An Industry." Just trying to circumvent reading 2 or 3 books and still not having the right material. I figure most of us have probably received books on brewing as gifts at some point or another and thought it would be worth a shot to ask.

As a prof, I am troubled that you would ask others to suggest readings rather than finding them yourself. If your own instructor has said it's okay, so be it. Hopefully you've checked.

As a prof, I am troubled that you would ask others to suggest readings rather than finding them yourself. If your own instructor has said it's okay, so be it. Hopefully you've checked.

While I understand your concern, I don't see how this is any different than how most people conduct research. I plan on reading the works myself and writing the paper myself, simply asking others which books to start with. If you had a friend that was really into NASCAR, and you had to write a paper on NASCAR, would it not be acceptable to ask him what books to read?

While I understand your concern, I don't see how this is any different than how most people conduct research. I plan on reading the works myself and writing the paper myself, simply asking others which books to start with. If you had a friend that was really into NASCAR, and you had to write a paper on NASCAR, would it not be acceptable to ask him what books to read?

I don't really have any specific books to suggest, but I do agree. I've seen people coming on here basically asking for us to do their research project. This guy just wants some suggested readings from a group of very devoted beer nuts.

Oh yea, Randy Mosher goes into some detail on the history of beer making in his book "Tasting Beer".

If you had a friend that was really into NASCAR, and you had to write a paper on NASCAR, would it not be acceptable to ask him what books to read?

Are the posters here your "friends?" All I suggested was that you check with your instructor. Students running to the internet everytime they have a problem to solve is a pet peeve of mine. Googling maybe couldn't be avoided in this case...but coming to a message board instead of looking around yourself is not only lazy but IMO unseemly.

But once again...ask your instructor. They might be fine with it.

Back